ALS Hypochondria

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am 16 years old and for now 6 months I have muscle twitching all over my body and especially in my arms and neck but sometimes in my calfs. When it all started I took a look on google to see the possible causes of the twitching and ALS appeared. Since then I can't stop thinking i might have ALS and I do a lot of anxiety about it.

Then, 2 months ago i started choking when swallowing saliva, water and food, I started to make insomnia as well and I imagine that it is because of ALS.

Also I am really tired, I wake up in the morning and 2 hours later I am already tired, not normal and this happens everyday!

I am so scared because I have a lot of the same symptoms of the disease

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know its scary but your symptoms match a lot of different ailments from anxiety, a trapped nerve, chronic fatigue, stress, too much caffeine, dehydration...the list goes on. You've taken one extremely common, extremely high generated search result and unfortunately got yourself stuck in a cycle that is perpetuating your symptoms and making them worse.

As you've said yourself, you imagine and sometimes health anxiety can cause our imagination to go into overdrive. Best thing you can do is have an honest chat with your doctor. x

• Posted

I already went to the doctor 5 months ago and he said that if it gets worse to go back see him

• Posted

Jan's advice is spot on. If you've seen a dr and feel it's gotten worse, then go back and say you're still struggling to cope. There's no point suffering in silence. But it really does sound like what Jan has advised.

• Posted

ALEX PLEASE READ THIS

When I WAS in my 20s, i had started having muscle twitching all over my body, legs, arms, eyelid, buttocks, everywhere!

I was so exhausted, i couldnt get off the couch, chocking, eye floaters, ringing in ears, etc

thought i had a terrible disease like als. all tests ok.

what u have IS NOT ALS. you have what is called benign fasciculations, which means harmless twitching caused by stress and anxiety. its VERY common with anxiety, so i learned. athletes get them all the time from how they use their muscles!

als is seen in middle age people 99% of the time and if you had it from 6 months ago when your twitching began, youd be very ill by now.

I AM IN MY SIXTIES NOW AND when anxious i still get twitches, but only very mildly. so you see they are harmless. I’ve gone all those years with them, but rarely .

the more u get anxious over them, the more u have them. when really relax, they

go away.

stress makes u very tired and makes u choke.

BY THE WAY muscle twitching in als is later stage symptomwhen muscles are already in very bad shape.

dont read online!!!

just work on the stress, see a counselor for support. you are ok! ❤

• Posted

Hey alex

I too suffer with twitching and like you I googled and up came ALS. The more I thought about it the worse it got. I also suffer with excessive saliva and sometimes choke. I know this is all anxiety because they are only bad when I'm constantly thinking of them, when I'm occupied I don't notice them. I have had the twitching for years but apparantly with als you get the twitching when your muscles are dying by which time you wouldn't be able to move. I know exactly how you feel and it is so frightening but twitching is extremely common especially with anxiety. Our minds and thinking can so have a negative effect with what happens to us physically. Go back to your doctor you may benefit from counselling. Good luck Alex and please stop worrying about ALS. You have health anxiety xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.