ALS scare!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been freaked out about ALS for a few months when I started having muscle twitching. My left leg has been weak for about 5 weeks I think it's something in my back causing it but really convinced myself it's ALS. It's so bad that I am sick an don't wanna do nothing because of it. I am always checking my body to see if I can see any muscle atrophy an yesterday I was flexing my lower legs an when I flex it looks like the muscle goes in like a didn't but then when I release it looks normal again however my weak leg was bigger than the right. Is this normal when u flex like ur muscle tightens so it looks different until you let it out. I ask my husband an he said it was but it tells me that for everything because I drive him crazy. Is this just me over thinkin,

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This happened to me a few years ago. Started with a twitch in my foot and then anxiety got the better of me(without me even knowing) and before I knew it, twitches we're going off all over my body. I was having panic attacks every 10 mins all day every day and I was so weak I thought I was dying. I wasn't. Convinced myself I had ALS. I didn't. It was anxiety at its worst. I'm pretty sure this is what's happening to you too but my advise to you would be speak to your doctor before things get worse for you. Take care xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you I have seen a few different doctors an even had MRI an 2 emg test an they said no ALS thank god but I still have that what if in my head an then you read these horrible story's on line. I can't wait till I can move past this. Did you have to see a councler for this?
    • Posted

I totally understand what you're going through as I went through the exact same thing and still do sometimes. The "what if?" thinking is what's gonna send you over the edge if you don't get a handle on it now. One piece of advise I strongly advise you take is STAY OFF THE INTERNET!!! Please don't google symptoms. It's literally the worst thing people like us can do. You will always find something horrendous that mirrors what you're feeling and then things just spiral out of control. Trust your doctors and the test results that are in black and white. That's what is true. The "what if?" is just hypothetical worry and if you give it too much thought it becomes a warped reality. You will give it legs to run wild!!! I've had a few rounds of CBT and counselling for other things but I try to apply what I've learned to most worrying situations in my life. And there's a lot!!!

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Say no to google!!!

xxxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice. Hopefully this will all come to a end soon it's been a few months an I don't know how much more I can handle.

Have a good day!!!

• Posted

Have you had your b12 levels checked?  I don't think a layperson would see muscular degeneration before medical professionals could detect it, and they've already ruled it out.  So, you know that's not it and you're still wondering if something is causing the sensation plus weakness.  I walk a fair amount (my pedometer says over 10,000 steps on an average weekday) and my weight is normal, but my legs felt so weak and my feet felt like they were vibrating at times. I have a mild circulation disorder (Raynaud's) and this was the fall, so I figured it was the cold playing tricks on me.  It was the spring before my blood test showed I have low b12/pernicious anaemia.  The injections really reversed that and some other quirks in my body that I didn't even think were related (more ringing in my ears, fatigue, major brain fog).  It's a relief to know what was wrong and it's not 100% fixed but far enough along that I almost forget how bad it was!

Good luck!

• Posted

You sound just like me 12 years ago. I twitched everywhere,feet,thigh,calf,eyes,biceps,árse and fingers (which I hated the most). Bird82 is right,google is anxiety's best friend,stay away from the search engine and your twitches will ease up and eventually go,I can guarantee it. 

I used to workout a lot,I woke up with a really stiff neck,after a week of sitting around unable to train,I googled my symptom. Half way down the page,there was a lady complaining of having a stiff neck and she suffered from MS (she probably had anxiety),I was sick as a dog. I read up on MS,and guess what? I started getting other symptoms associated with MS,I googled my new symptoms,ended up on a Parkinsons website. Started to read up on Parkinsons,and within minutes of reading twitches was an early sign of parkinsons,I started to bleeden twitch (I kid you not). I remember staring at my thumb,and it developed a cramping feeling,then the twitches started,and they lasted 12 months. I then googled my new symptoms and guess where I ended? That's right,on the ALS site. I ended up in a right state,couldn't eat,sleep,talk properly,foggy brain,clumsiness (constantly tripping up),I even started hallucinating due to lack of sleep (red traces) and suffering panic attacks. I went to see the Dr,she sat me down told me something (I've repeated it loads of times on here so I won't bore you with it),and that was the day I got my life back on track. I gave my computer away,went back the gym and kept myself very busy. I was back to normal within 12 months,all without medication. I was given tablets,but it had no effect on my whatsoever,good or bad. Anxiety is beatable,but you've got to make drastic changes to your life. Getting shut of my computer wasn't that big of a deal to me,as I would have done anything to feel normal,but most on here come out in a cold sweat at the mere thought of giving up the internet connection.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.