ALS worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am having issues lately with excesses weakness, muscle twitching, jaw issues, tension headache in my nasal areas, ear issues, mainly blocking. I have had a MRI and that came back normal. Next is EMG and I am not sure if I want to put my body through that. As anyone had the symptoms, I'm a 30 year old female.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer what bloods have been tested? was your mri of your head or sinus , 
  • Posted

HI i would go ahead with the EMG it is a simple test and apart from feeling abit strange like static shocks but not at all painfull and its over in 5 minutes. Also if your MRI didnt include contrast dye and symptoms continue ask for a CT scan with contrast it shows a clearer picture of sinuses. also it may be worth seeing ENT good luck
  • Posted

Jennifer, I have all those symptoms, which has progressed over the past few years. I have had an MRI (w/contrast) of brain, EMG & nerve conduction (showed carpal tunnel of right hand)...and even a lumbar punture.  All normal?!  The neuro gave me a diagnosis of atypical Parkinsonism. I have a problem walking. My symptoms worsen when my ears get pressure (like on a plane). My nose drains constantly. I get TMJ type headaches. My limbs feel weak even though I actually have muscle strength. I am convinced that allergies are involved somehow. We recently discovered a mold problem in our crawl space, as we coud have had the plumbing leak for years before discovering it a couple weeks ago. My eye also waters non-stop. We'll see if I can recover once the mold is removed. Also, I feel spacy/disoriented alot when my head gets pressurized. I was worried about ALS, too, at first...but all testing says nosmile

• Posted

Idk if I want to do the Emg and put my body under more test. I become so worked up, I had a break down during my MRI. Laura did you ever get teet r for toxic mold? I bought a house a year ago and we have mold. I was thinking about being tested for toxic mold.
    • Posted

I know what you mean about how stressful the MRI  could be. It's hard to lie in there for so long...without being able to move...which is hard for a person who gets cramps & twitches. I didn't think I could get through it, but I did. What happened with your breakdown? Actually the EMG isn't bad at all. I would take it over the MRIsmile Also, the lumbar puncture ruled out MS and Lyme (among other stuff). Re: Mold...we just discovered it and awaiting pros to come in Tues to test it. I should get tested for it, too...but the lab that does the urine sample for neuro toxins charges $600. I don't know if doctors are up on mold issues, or how they would test, or even if insurance will cover? Look it up online. How much mold does your house have? You should test it.

• Posted

It's in our window ceil and I think the contractor we hired painted over the mold.

I get into breakdowns because I feel something is wrong and everything is turning out negative. Which either says I have anxiety or it's something bad. I have so much odd things happening that on all the websites says it can't be ALS but I cant help but think the worst. Especially with my sudden weak limb on my trigger finger.

• Posted

My trigger finger on the right hand is so weak that it's even hard to control the computer mouse. Also, it's hard to wash dishes or my hair with that hand. I was perfectly fine before we bought this house nearly 4 years ago. Your symptoms match mine better than anyone I've talked to. Has your  gait or balance or coordination changed? By the way, I went to an ENT for my ear fullness/pressure and had many tests. Hearing is great, too. Does your throat get sore or scratchy?

• Posted

Sore throat no, but occasionally scratching. My ears are issue lately, face, lip twitching. I was hoping the MRI would who an infection like last time, but didn't.

• Posted

There are many many things that could produce these sorts of symptoms and the only way to find out the real cause is to have the tests done to rule things in or out. They don't have to be neurological either.

If you don't have the tests they will never identify what it is and you will just continue to worry it is something like ALS rather than one of the other possible answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.