Also applicable or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm very anxious to know if the same sort of leg pain I'm going to describe can be applicable to spine problems as well a hip. On the hip forum these are VERYcommon difficulties and my 2 surgeons are having problems at the moment trying to decide whether all this pain is coming from my hip or my spine and I am in agony most days.

OK. I have to physically lift my leg to get in and out of cars. The pain is just so bad. Likewise getting onto a doctor's couch or into my own bed. I cannot raise this leg even a millimeter and have to use my hands to lift it over.

I have a colossal amount of pain in that same leg going up and down steps and as for any movement that requires lifting that leg on its own i can't do. The leg just refuses to budge!

I'm 74, normal weight & eat healthily. I have a hospital appointment booked for an injection into my hip/groin on Wednesday to see if that eases the pain as I walk everwhere with a pronounced limp,  and I get the results of my lumbar MRI on Thursday to compare with the last lumbar MRI two years ago.

Both surgeons are at the moment undecided where exactly the leg pain is coming from. So your opinion would be most welcome please. I live in UK (East Anglia). Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Regarding your leg pain, are there any grinding noises or bone on bone feelings in hip. If not then it may be sciatica. Or, and this is where my symptoms come in, are you having any cervical spine issues. I suffer with cervical problems at sections C4 , 5 6 and 7.

Lately I had excruciating pain in my right hip but no hip joint problems, also have to lift my right leg to get in to a car. After discussing the problem with my gp I had to up my meds and eventually got pain under control again.

Best wishes,

Mike.

• Posted

All my hip and leg pain was coming from my back . I had spinal fusion Wednesday other than the pain from the surgery the leg pain and hip pain has almost subsided , unreal . Iam mAnaging in the pain on just 1 30 mg dyhrodcodine and 1 paracetamol every 4 hrs , only had one shot of morphine strait after sugery . Taking b12 for nerve repair and arnica tablet s from the herbal shop to reduce pain and swelling inside. Got no appetite though ate very little last few days probably the drugs
  • Posted

The spine can cause pain in the leg for sure but I wouldn't want to say it's your lumbar region but it's certainly a possibility

• Posted

MRIs can be inconclusive.  The "gold standard" spine test is a CT/Myelogram with contrast.  Gives the docs a complete map of your spine.  My neuro found my stenosis (sciatic pain down BOTH legs) this way.  Request that test to confirm what they're looking at on the MRI.  I would not have any surgery until the CT/M confirms it.

I was already fused L3 through S1 and had an LLIF to correct the stenosis at L2/L3.  Immediate relief on waking up, one night in the hospital, zero rehab.

PS: Back in 2009, I had terrific leg and knee pain.  Doc was ready to replace my knee when he ordered an MRI with contrast of my hip.  Turned out 30% of my hip was dead.  All my pain was originating from my hip...had it replaced.  Those two tests, one on the hip and the other on the spine should tell the story.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.