ALT 405, AST 383 in random test (no symptoms)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I wanna ask about any theories as I have to wait for my appointment for two weeks and I know the lab results already. My ALT and AST came back extremely high (as per title) and there is no cause I can see. Other labs are good, I have no liver symptoms, have no form of viral hepatitis (was done in the same lab). What can be the reason? It was Monday after a weekend of heavy drinking which I don’t normally do, but I don’t think two nights can cause such extreme elevation. Any theories guys?

Mike

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Mike.

It's more than likely the weekend. If you were on a bit of a binge, it's going to take you liver a few days to calm down because it's been working overtime for 48 hours. I know it's a magic organ but it doesn't clear everything and that's that. It's had to produce a lot of extra enzymes to deal with all the ETOH from a heavy session and it takes time for it to get back to normal. AST is found in other organs, but if you're worried about inflammation then check the GGT and AP. If you had cirrhosis then I'd expect to see bilirubin up as well (but can be raised after drinking too).

I'm not a doctor so make sure you express this to them. They'll probably order another labs.

I'm a liver transplant recipient, but not a Doc!!

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Those liver markers are so scary as they rise so dramatically. My family has weak genetics and fatty liver even in those who are thin and keep really nice diets and I’m too weak to that. So that lab freaked me out, especially as in my country treatment is sadly still more third world than typical Western, so huge waiting times and probably no chance for a transplant if it ever got that bad. So once again thanks for the reply!
    • Posted

Hey Mike, just curious....Did you get another lab's done and were they ok?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.