ALT and AST levels high... no mono or hepatitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Went to urgent care due to what I suspected was kidney pain. Labs showed AST and ALT both about triple the upper level. Went back for a follow up; was tested for mono and all the heps, which came back negative. An ultrasound of my liver showed it was normal. For the last year I've been experiencing extreme fatigue and more recently have been very itchy and have been getting headaches. I've also had a persistent cough and my eyes have been dry and itchy. I typically have 2-3 bowel movements each morning often times pale in color. Wondering if anyone has some insight as to what could be going on. I have another appointment in a couple weeks to check liver function and thyroid. Any help is appreciated!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Pale stool often results when bile flow is sluggish.  Bile is where the liver dumps its metabolic waste for disposal down the GI tract.  When bile flow is sluggish, this can be like a sewer backing up into the liver, resulting in inflammation.  

Choline is the liver's favorite nutrient and an essential component of bile.  Phosphatidylcholine (aka Lecithin) is the liver's favorite form of this nutrient.  

Egg yolks are the richest source of lecithin, so you might try adding a few of these per week into your diet.  If you don't find egg palatable, a lecithin supplement should work just as well.  

You should see results (darker stool, better enzymes) within around 30 days if increased dietary choline is going to help.  

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.