ALT level

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, in August I went to the Doctor to get my yearly blood test, everything came out fine but my ALT level was at 56 at the clinic normal was 7 to 55, and 2 days before I had several beers and a shot of tequila. So my guess it was that a month later took a blood test only for the liver functions and once again my ALT came back 58. I took another blood test today resutls will come back Friday. I am worried big time I limited my alcohol to only 1 drink a weekend but haven't had one since 2 weeks. I am overweight and need to loose it. I am on a diet eating mostly veggies and fruits also been drinking Dandelion Tea with Lime (Natural ones) past 2 to 3 weeks only one every other day. Also eating a lot of oranges and apples. Should I panic or worry that my alt is at 58? Never had that before and all my other results were completely normal. I'm hoping it has gone down already! When should I start worrying? I am making lifestyle changes in my diet. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Manny but I seriously cannot see what you are worried about, its like saying your cholesterol should be 5 and its 5.1 I don't think its a problem, any LFT result 3 times as much as baseline figures is classed as raised.

So stop worrying, why did they retest you??

• Posted

He is retesting me because its at 58... I understand I need to loose weight which I am aware and working towards it, but if my friend who also came up at alt at 75 (he showed me his results) his doctor didn't make him do another test and he is a heavy drinker way more than me only difference between him and me is that he is skinny, but any how I worry because he is making me do these re tests because of that. If my results do come back and is the same 55 to 58 I am going to ask him either to a scan or give me a year to work on myself and loose weight.. Also read it takes up to 6 months for AST and ALT level to come down but my ast was in the normal range just not my alt... Like I said all my other results are fine even perfect its just my alt level that was few points high sad

• Posted

Hi Manny, my  Alt levels were extremley high, due to my diagnosis, you can never go wrong with healthy eating and limiting your alcohol intake.  Good luck on you results.
  • Posted

Got my Results back and yea! ast at 24 and alt 41!!! Yes! Gonna keep up eating healthy and loosing weight!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.