ALT very high

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was asked by my health insurance company to conduct a liver test, the result was shocking as it was 125% above the normal range, but I was also a bit suspicious of the result, because: 

A) It was about 2:30pm when the company asked me to go for a test at 4pm on the same day, when I just had lunch. 

B) I drank some wine and slept late last night also.

Could my ALT be unusually high because of these factors? Every time I go for a liver test the doctor would ask me not to eat 8-12 hours beforehand. 

This latest number really freaked me out... I will arrange for another test just to make things sure.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Can I ask why your employer frequently tests its employees liver function?
    • Posted

no it's not my company, my health insurance agent asked me to do for a liver test because I just signed up a policy. 

apart from that I do liver test normally once a year 

• Posted

In the UK when they do a liver function test the blood test includes Albumin, Bilirubin, Alk Phos and sometimes GGT as well as ALT. Were these results given to you, if so, were they normal?
    • Posted

Hi there, 

My Alkaline Phosophatase was 44  (Ref value 41-102)

The others were: 

Asoartate Aminotransferase SGOT/AST  41      (Ref value  <34) alanine="" aminotransferase="" sgpt/alt  =""  68=""  =""  =""  =""  (ref="" value=""><45)

gamma-gt                22        (ref value 0-103)

alpha-fetoprotein afp (cmia)        2.8        (ref value 0-9 ug/l)

hepatitis be antigen, qual (cmia)    positive    (negative)

i should have said that i have always been a hep b carrier, as well as a 6mm polyp in the gallbladder posterior wall with no stones.  

so basically my ast and alt were higher.  gamma-gt  =""    =""    =""    =""  22=""  =""  =""  =""  (ref="" value="" 0-103)="" alpha-fetoprotein="" afp="" (cmia)  =""    =""  2.8=""  =""  =""  =""  (ref="" value="" 0-9="" ug/l)="" hepatitis="" be="" antigen,="" qual="" (cmia)  =""  positive=""  =""  (negative)="" i="" should="" have="" said="" that="" i="" have="" always="" been="" a="" hep="" b="" carrier,="" as="" well="" as="" a="" 6mm="" polyp="" in="" the gallbladder="" posterior="" wall="" with="" no="" stones.=""  ="" so="" basically="" my="" ast="" and="" alt="" were="">

gamma-gt                22        (ref value 0-103)

alpha-fetoprotein afp (cmia)        2.8        (ref value 0-9 ug/l)

hepatitis be antigen, qual (cmia)    positive    (negative)

i should have said that i have always been a hep b carrier, as well as a 6mm polyp in the gallbladder posterior wall with no stones.  

so basically my ast and alt were higher. >

• Posted

I have LFTs taken every month due to medication I take. I have NEVER been asked to fast for hours before the test. It would dehydrate me and falsely elevate the bilirubin. 
  • Posted

Is it possible your hepatitis b viral load has gone up, causing liver inflammation and elevated Results? Are you on treatment to suppress the virus. You should be or it will continue to damage your liver and could potentially cause cirrhosis or cancer. By the way, you should,not drink alcohol if you have hepatitis. It just puts more strain on your liver. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.