Alternating bisoprolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Following on from my earlier topic.  I am still attempting to alternate 2.5 and 3.75 bisoprolol.  Some days I'm ok but depending on how I feel and the palps or extra/missed beats, whatever they are, I sometimes take 3.75 couple or more days running and on good days 2.5.  Do you think this its ok or,disturbing for the body, or confusing?  I would welcome all you knowledgeable people re bios out there, to advise and reassure me.  Can't be taking up drs time with such queries!   Also I am going to Spain soon and drink slightly more alcohol there (who doesn't!) and will feel like staying on the higher dose.  Think its a confidence thing too,  thank you in advance, I know you'll help me,   Regards to all you sufferers.   Pauline xxx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think you should really speak to your Doctor. Changing the dosage backwards and forwards dosnt allow your body to get used to a certain dosage, or you to see which dosages work best for you sad
  • Posted

Hi, I was on Bisoprolol for ectopic beats, but had to stop because of side effects. If I was you I would ring your local surgery and ask to speak to one of the Dr's and ask him/her if it would be okay for you to do this. This is what they do in my surgery and the Dr will ring you back, you may have to wait a couple of hours though. 
  • Posted

Hi Pauline

I am not a professional although my daughter is a lead practise nurse so I get some information from her. I dont think it is good for your heart to keep changing the dosage of your tablets. Also the doctor told me that alcohol in small doses actually lowers the BP so I wouldnt take a high dose when in Spain just in case you get very low BP. Did you know that chamomile tea is natures own beta blocker. I found this out recently when visiting the States I drank quite a lot of it and I felt very peculiar one day and my blood pressure and pulse went very low. My pulse being only 45 beats per minute. Hope you have a good holiday but do go careful with the medication and alcohol.

• Posted

Thanks so much for a very useful reply.  Will get professional advice, although it was a locum who told me to alternate in the first instance!

• Posted

I take 1.25 daily, but take it at night just before I go to bed.  Was on 7.5, but too much eventually reduced to 1.25 daily.  Still get some side effects, but cardiologist happy with how things are working out.  Whatever you do, do not change dosage without consultation with the professionals, you may do more harm than good, so please be carfeful and take care.

jenny xxx

• Posted

Thanks for the info Jenny.  I just rang my pharmacist and he said it's ok to alternate doses as it evens itself out with a view to eventually cut down, he also advised to take dose earlier in the day, rather than later, as b.p is low when you are sleeping and rises as you get up!  All confusing really.  Thought it may help ease tiredness during the day.  I suppose it's whatever suits as we are all affected differently.  Well done for cutting right down, do you take it for b.p or arrhythmia, or both, as I do?  Take care. Pauline xxx
  • Posted

I have severe heart failure, they are not sure what the cause is, could be heredity.  There are other things going on, doctors not sure what though .  All I know is that since giving up work has helped as well.  Went to Canada last year and it did not do me any harm, and I did have the occasional  drink. Take all in your stride.

jenny xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.