alternating IBS: issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was dealing with some constipation issues and took Milk of Magnesia, after having tried a couple handful of prunes and my normal fiber/water dosages. I took the standard 30ml dose of MoM before bed. Despite terrible stomach cramps in the night, eight hours later it still hadn't worked. So I took another15ml- the max does in 24hrs is 60ml. That worked within about ten minutes, but the whole day after that was absolutely terrible!! The following day (yesterday) things seemed to have gone a complete 180. I was able to pass some very small movements that were about a 6 on the scale. Today has been even less, but still a 6 and some pushing to get even that out. I've taken about half as many prunes as I did the day before yesterday, half my normal amount of fiber- and plan on increasing that a bit tonigt, my normal probiotic- a strain of Lactobicilicus that I forget, and another strain of probiotic.

Also I've had lots of gas and cramping this past week.

Even though I technically have passed something over the last 48rs it's not much and I'm on the fence about taking some more MoM, or Dulcolax even, tonight...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would ease down on the laxatives because they could suddenly work all at once and cause diarrhoea. You may be taking too many laxatives. Try sticking to prunes or prune juice alone. Don't overload your system.

• Posted

I think I took too much MoM, which was my issue Thursday. But, you're right. I'll stick to fiber, prunes, and ruffage. Thanks.

• Posted

Natural laxatives are more gentle on the stomach than chemical laxatives. My IBS constipation was eased by oranges and prune juice.

• Posted

Yes, and I'm afraid I've made things worse by taking the meds as I'm heading into day 3 post-MoM and my system is still way out of whack. Hopefully the fiber and prunes help switch things back to "normal".

• Posted

yeah, yesterday things seemed to be getting better, hopefully today follows the same trend.

• Posted

I was using Milk of Magnesia with success and it was working well for me. I was on Antibiotics last week and the MOM wasn't working for me so I switched to a laxative tea called "Smooth Move" .....a peppermint herbal tea by Traditional Medicinals. Taken before bed I had immediate results in the morning. I take it two nights in a row. Try it....it worked for me. Good luck.

• Posted

I have a senna tea here, but it didn't work last time. I'll look for that tea at the store, thanks!

• Posted

The Senokot tables were too harsh for me last time. This tea has senna but it was gentler. Good luck!

• Posted

Fybogel - that's the thing i take i am currently in pain now and just taken Fybogel the last time this happened it did the trick, anything that softens the bowel is good though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.