Alternative/Holistic Options?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm a wife of someone who has been diagnosed with IBS for about ten years now. All the medicines he has took or is taking currently taking have made no difference. He had to stop working temporary, and as much as we would like the option to have two incomes, we're stalled out at this point!

I'm tired of trying traditional medication at this point. It almost feels like the doctors really don't do much but prescribe the medication in hopes of improvement. Now he is starting to have other health issues from all the medication we're trying!

Is there anyone in this forum who has any other alternate suggestions that I can research and look into?

Any suggestions would be helpful at this point. The cost of the medication is getting to our budget, and my daughter/his stepdaughter who has a rare autoimmune disease that has lead to her current diagnose Chronic Kidney Disease - Stage 1 that has already drowned a lot of my time and budget.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried the Low Fodmap diet?

jan

• Posted

He's tried it a few times before we met, and says it never worked. Due to my daughter's diagnose, we have made a lot of changes to what foods we buy and eat. We actually don't eat out much since our tummys cannot handle a lot of processed foods.

Our food budget is high due to the fresh produce, meats, etc. that we eat as a "family" so my daughter doens't feel left out. We try to avoid any food that can cause inflammation in the body as well since July 2016 when she had short-term kidney failure. I have had to buy different veggies for him since some veggies aren't good for what he needs but good for her.

To be honest, as a family of six and three with special diets due to IBS/HSP/diary intolerance, I cannot keep up with everyone's needs.

• Posted

Hi Becky,

I posted this in another forum earlier, but here's what's worked for me. It helps with IBS-C or IBS-D.

I have IBS-C and had a terrible attack a couple of weeks ago. I had pain and bloating for the next several days that I felt would never go away even after changing my diet dramatically. I was dreading the thought that I may be this way the rest of my life.

I went into the healthfood store to get some magnesium as I read that it can help with constipation. The owner stopped to help me and showed me a series of products that are actually helping! It is Heather's Tummy Care. She has a fiber product that has been working wonders for me. It takes awhile to work, so I continued on my Miralax. I even asked my gastro doctor and she said to try it. I stopped the Miralax and I'm now regular.

I also use her tea at every meal. I increase my water intake too, but room temperature water only.

I stopped eating wheat and eat homemade spelt bread (bread machine). I stay on the low fodmap diet and have an app on my phone from Monash University.

I realize you have a large family and I do too. I cook for the kids. My hubby is vegan. He and I make our own meals. When I can eat what the kids are having I do. Mostly I make something I can eat with them. if not, I just have a small simple meal.

Google Heather's Tummy Care. She's in Seattle, Wa.

Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.