Alternative Medications to Zoloft

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had depression and anxiety disorders for about 9 years. It began when I lost a job which I had for a very long time and then had a mimor car accident which shook me. Since then I have been on many medications and am trying to get off Diazpam due to the side effects of the medication. 

Recently, my doctor put me on Zoloft which was working very well, except I got incredible stomach and headaches which did not go away. We are looking for another medication which might have the same results. I haven't needed a diazpam for a long time and want to keep it that way. He did prescribe me a small dosage until we can find another drug. 

Has anybody had the same expeeriences with any medication and what drug did your doctor prescribe that worked but didn't give you any side effects?  It has been wonderful to do things again without being fearful of them with very little medication. 

ARL67001

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alan,

I was on Zoloft for 4 weeks and got bad side effects including nausea, dizziness, migraines, shakiness and cold tingling feeling in legs and arms. My doctor suggested I go on veniflaxine which I've been on for 3 days and not experienced many side effects apart from feeling sick and slight headaches. Maybe try this one.

• Posted

Hollyworrier 19,

I got the same exact feelings while on Zoloft. They all stopped after about a week which I went off of it. I never have ever felt that bad, to the point that I couldn't participate in what I need to do on a everyday basis. I was litterally in bed almost 24/7 and eating very little. 

As of now I just have the diazpam for emergency use. I am going out later today to see another doctor for another reason, and have no fears at all, so the Zoloft most likely is still in me. Again, I would like to be medicine free eventually, if possible. 

I hope that the venifaxine works for you. 

• Posted

Yeah I was in bed constantly and couldn't do much at all. Feeling better on these tablets so hopefully they are working.

Let me know how u get on at the doctors, I know there are different treatments as well as medication so would be interested to see what they suggest. I've had cbt and hypnosis which has worked for me before.

• Posted

Seeing the doctor tomorrow and I will let you know what happens. We also have tried Bursar, and Cymbalta, but they either didn't work or I got very weird dreams for them. It seems that there is something that goes along with each of these medications. 
    • Posted

Okay, just saw my doctor yesterday and he gave me Paxil to try instead of Zoloft, Has anybody out there been put on Paxil and what have been our experiences?  He has me on 10 mg. once a day. I just don't want to go through the same stuff as I did with Zoloft, including the headaches, stomachackes, nausea, weird dreams, etc. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.