Alternative Therapies

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been suffering from Psioritic Artritis for many years, but only diagnosed for the last six months. Since my diagnosis, the flare - ups have become more frequent and more intense. This im not prepared to put up with! My life at present is very active, and im having the time of my life! I have seen an accupunturist, who tells me he could possibly relieve alot of my pains with regular visits. Web searches lead me to Turmeric and fish oils for joint relief.

Does anyone have any alternatives (medicines or therapies ) that they are currently get results from?

I am sat at work typing this, with pain in my feet, hands, shoulder and generally feeling crap! But its not going to beat me!

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I've had PA since I was 12 - I didn't get diagnosed till 18.  Before my 30th birthday I had both hips, both knees replaced, my wrist fused and my shoulder pinned.  Autoimmune diseases are your body attacking your body. So they must fight with meds that are horrible but, most importantly, they work. The other problem is without these drugs your bones, like mine, will be attacked and damaged to the point of total joint replacement.

In the early days I tried everything. The only effect it had was on my wallet. I've found the "alternative" crowd just blame the victim when their bottle of expensive water doesn't work for you. I actually had one naturopath that had the audacity to tell me "the reason it's not working is because you love your disease too much"!  That appointment didn't end well.

As for accupunture - I do believe it helps with the pain but I can't fit in a session or afford a session 24/7.  So I take pain meds.  Some may attack my stoic fibre - I tell them to go to hell.  These drugs are there so your life isn't completely ratsh*t. I've been on the same dossage for over 20 years.

Other meds that have been great for me: Celebrex and Amitriptyline (an antidepressant but great for pain management). Remedial massage certainly helps, hydrotherapy is also good. Then there are the stronger drugs but I leave that up to your rheumatologist to discuss with you. These are the drugs that will alleviate the disease's progress and save your bones and joints.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Holy S##t! 

Im still on mild pain killers and NSAID's.  don't know how you do it! I'm 51, and by what I've read here today for the first time I have a lot to come (possibly). I'm still active enough to swim, bike and run! Even with the pain in my feet and hands. 

The Medes you mention I've never heard of! I tend to steer clear of them 

• Posted

Hi ! I'm sorry you have PsA. If you want to recover your quaility of life stick to traditional medicine where there is scientific evidence that the treatments work. As a moderator on another board for PA, those that chose the alternative route always regretted it. They spent a fortune and the arthritis progressed. Early agressive treatment is reccomended these days (see NICE guidelines) so messing around with alternative stuff looses you time and the chance of an effective outcome.

You have seen a rheumatologist? What treatment did they suggest?

Accupuncture by the way is not reccomended for those with PsA. It can damage the inflammed tendons.

Arthritis Research UK has comprehensive information on the different trreatment options open to you. 

What country are you in?

• Posted

hi Oakapis,

thanks for the info.

I am quite concerned, after reading many posts / replies on here that prescribed medication is praised so highly despite many, many scary side - effects!

We are all different, and have ranging levels of pain, discomfort, or mobility issues thanks to our common ground.

Im not trying to be argumentative, and i dont think im in a "denial stage" either, but the thought of playing off my pains for organ damage, hair loss and other ailments is completely against my aims.

This morning i went for a 10k run, tomorrow i may do some circuit training, next week a 60 mile bike ride.

I find that for my self, its knowing my limits, knowing when to rest, moderation in everything.

Being active is my coping mechanism, i will need to scale things back in the future im sure.

Currently i have only taken four (4) ibuprofen all week! Its a good week for me so far. Probably pay for it next week.

• Posted

Hi Gilch I understand where you are coming from but its important to to put a forum like this in context. People who post tend to have problems and can be unrepresentative of the whole so there are many many people out there who have no side effects and/or no side effects that dont disappear or which they can tolerate for the quality of life acheived.

Judging from your activity levels your PsA is mild! If you were experiencing severe PsA you certainly could not do everything you are with just the odd ibubrufen! Which is great! I went 20 years simply using NSAIDS but then came a time when my quality of life became of paramount importance. I wanted my mobility back and blow the possible side effects. Better than being in a wheelchair!

As you say we're all different and different treatments suit some better than others but if you dont try them and experience side effects you dont find the right one!

T

• Posted

hi Oakapis,

thanks for the info.

I am quite concerned, after reading many posts / replies on here that prescribed medication is praised so highly despite many, many scary side - effects!

We are all different, and have ranging levels of pain, discomfort, or mobility issues thanks to our common ground.

Im not trying to be argumentative, and i dont think im in a "denial stage" either, but the thought of playing off my pains for organ damage, hair loss and other ailments is completely against my aims.

This morning i went for a 10k run, tomorrow i may do some circuit training, next week a 60 mile bike ride.

I find that for my self, its knowing my limits, knowing when to rest, moderation in everything.

Being active is my coping mechanism, i will need to scale things back in the future im sure.

Currently i have only taken four (4) ibuprofen all week! Its a good week for me so far. Probably pay for it next week.

• Posted

It's not that we are "pro-medication" it's just our experience and opinion of what works and what doesn't. If there was a "natural" medicine that worked I'd be crowing it from the roof top. And yes, we all process meds in different ways - that is why scientific double blind testing is done.  Most with PA are cycled through different meds to find the one that works for them.

I don't want to take them and we all know the risks and side effects before we make that decision.  My choice was methotrexate or a wheelchair. I also had to take the risk of joint replacement at a very young age.

My issue with "alternative treatments" are the false promises, victim blaming and cost. I also get upset when practitioners say it's a big conspiracy between pharma companies and doctors to keep us sick for profit. My Rh doctor, who did research, is a caring, sympathetic health care professional who only wants the best for my life with this adversity. I can say that about all my doctors.

I would love to be able to run 1km let alone 10k and if that works for you great!  It sounds like you can avoid the really awful drugs in the near future so that's fantastic too. 

• Posted

Hi Steelhips, Hear hear, more or less said this but my post has been carried off for moderation! Not sure why I tried to be balanced but I find it difficult when people pursue alternative remedies to their detriment. Gilch, youre still highly mobile so good but be careful in pursuing alternative remedies 

• Posted

Hi there,

Just saw your post and I signed in just to answer to you!

I am 51 male, mild p scalp, mild inverse that's all.undiagnosed PSA but I have it for sure so that's the situation my friend:

I have visited the last 5 years my rheum four times but I have no diagnosis why ? Well don't know but that's what I do and my p is now very very mild and my PSA is about 2 months in total flares and 10 months sleepy. However just to point out that when p appeared 7 years ago for the first year it was terrible specially the inverse part.

So, let's see, I do about 2 hours of sports every day ( that's imperative ) cross training, swimming, bike, run , Pilates if I stop for 2 days I start to feel aches !!! I take tuneric power every day with all my meals , I sleep 9 hours per day, no sugar at all, plenty of vegetables every day plus fish oil! I leave in the sun for 8 months and it does help a lot for scalp. Just to give you a hint I take anti inflammatory pills let's say 20 days per year, I put scalp med 20 days a year and put hydrocortisone 100 days a year. I don't care so much about p cause I manage it and it's very mild as far as PSA is concerned stay stay stay stay active lose weight have fun !!!! I strongly believe that that this condition is related to the nervous system in a way, no surprise that it pops up when we are stressed. Heavy exercise produced endorphins which calms the whole system down. That said probably later on I will need heavier meds but since it's mild I am pushing it further !!! Aaaa btw I am a triathlete!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi,

many thanks for your post! Glad I'm not the only one here with "alternative" views. 

Whilst I am glad painkillers are working and improving many people's quality of life, I am just looking to keep my PSA at bay without their use until I really need them.

if I could just remove the pain in my feet I can cope with the rest! Running a marathon with severe pins a needles was / is no joke! 

I have just started seeing a podiatrist so it's a start! 

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, after many years of symptoms that have gradually gotten worse.  No one ever tied all the joint issues to my scalp "rash".  It took me and my dermatologist to make the connection.  Any way the flare ups have gotten more frequent and more painful.  Just started methotrexate while I was in full "flare up" mode, and it has gotten worse.  

Just curious to see if anyone has noticed if there is a connection with when you start your methotrexate and how well it works???  It seems to me that if you are in a Good phase and start it, it may work better at keeping the inflammation down.  As opposed to taking  it when your symptoms are bad, may take longer or not overcome it at all.

Any suggestions or comments?  

• Posted

My commiserations on being diagnosed with PsA! The treatments do work but the journey can sometimes be protracted what with increasing doses over months and then having perhaps to change drug. I'm one of those without the skin disease so cant answer your question although I've read that the severity of the psa bears little relation to the extent of the skin disease. Good Luck with the DMARDS. Arthritis Research UK has good information if you want to look stuff up.

• Posted

I've had psoriasis for over 10 years. A very severe form of. I've tried extremely expensive medicine as well as unconventional herbal treatments. None worked, you know. But a few years ago I stumbled upon a great cream and shampoo called PsoEasy and it has become a sort of remedy for me. No, of course, I haven't got over psoriasis completely but it has been significantly relieved by these products. You should try some of these products.

• Posted

Hi CandyM. 

Thanks for the post and advice. However, my Psoriasis is no more than two isolated spots no bigger than a finger nail! Hardly noticeable until recently when the one on my leg started to itch. 

Since joining this forum, I have had no further flare ups, and other than the usual aches in my hands and feet, I am managing to continue my daily activities with very little medication ( naproxen ) twice a day, plus my supplements. 

5k run yesterday, and hopefully cuircuit training tomorrow. I even managed a 108 mile bike ride last Sunday, although I suffered a swollen knee for two days afterwards, it was still worthwhile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.