alternative therapies

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have an appointment in early June with a national board fellow in acupuncture and Chinese pharmacology. He is the director at a Center for Integrative Chinese Medicine.  I am hoping he can make some suggestions to better manage my LS with herbs or accupuncture and better balance my immune system. I feel I must try everything. He cured my young nephew years ago.  I"m not looking for a cure, just better management.

Has anyone had any experience with this course of action and/or treatment?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

No but I have been crious. I look forward to watching this board.
  • Posted

I have no experience with this course of action but I was staring to do some research in this area and I would love to know what you find out.... sorry couldn't be of any help just begging my research I have not been diagnosed very long

• Posted

I will surely let you know what I find out.  I am continuing to incorporate advice I find on the various discussion groups here though.  My appointment is June 6th. It's also very very expensive, but if I get relief, it's a win win.  

• Posted

I found this online which I thought was interesting and  promising:

LICHEN SCLEROSUS

This is a lichen that primarily affects the genitals of women. It manifests initially with white, soggy-looking spots and blisters, which, over time, destroy the elasticity of the skin of the labia and make it brittle, crinkly, and very easy to tear. The area burns and stings, and the condition makes intercourse nearly impossible. Needless to say, there is a great emotional impact on sufferers. In TCM, we use herbs internally as well as externally. Of late, I have realized the sizeable role that external treatment plays in the resolution of this problem. The external wash, or sitz bath, can bring about a faster improvement, and the patient is encouraged to continue and to not give up prematurely, as lichen sclerosus is stubborn, but well worth treating. Stemona root, sophora root, and other herbs specific to the genital area are the mainstay of treatment. Internally, we must decongest the liver, stop dampness from seeping downward, and correct the blood circulation so that the tissue can heal. Liver congestion is the main cause of lichen sclerosus, which is in turn caused by persistent emotional stress such as anxiety, conflict, depression, or overwork. Complete remission may take many months of patient treatment, but is achievable in a majority of cases.

• Posted

Wow this is so helpful! I want to try the ingredients mentioned! Please keep us posted on your tcm herbal journey! 
  • Posted

I have not either,  but do see a naturopath for health and will inquire with her as well.  Interested to hear what you learn.
  • Posted

Hi Susan, what specifically are you hoping for?  Is it the itching thats your main problem? 

Let us know how you get on.  I see an excellent holistic doctor for acupuncture (NAET) treatment for my allergies and have had a lot of success.

• Posted

Hi.  I am hoping to repair my immune system so that I don't itch and scar.  I'm having a helluva time with very brief intervals of no issues.  I realize no practioner can guarantee success, but a better balance would be good. I also realize there is no cure for LS.

• Posted

I had my first accupuncture session yesterday.  FIrst time ever having it, so it was quite a surprise.  He also gave me herbal pills which I will list here.  I will go back for 2 more sessions. He says he has treated many women with this condition and similar issues with success. He feels the liver plays an active part with LS.  I am very curious to hear from anyone who has experienced this. I will continue to integrate the advice I have found on this forum, especially from Nancy K B.  And I'm not sure why, but last night I had a horrid outbreak.  Maybe because I cheated and had wine and put jam on a rice cake—sugar!  Just don't know, but really can't take these outbreaks.  

Qi and Blood pills to support the immune function

Long Dan Xie Gan Plan, which is a dietary supplement which relieves heat stagnation in the liver.

• Posted

Hi susan, I found this online which is interesting...

"Very rarely after acupuncture, one of your symptoms may get worse for a short period - or "flare up" - after your treatment. This usually happens later on the same day as your first treatment and lasts for 24 hours or less. Following the flare-up, symptoms typically start to get better. Overall, acupuncture doesn't worsen symptoms."

• Posted

Wow Guppy, thank you for letting me know.  That is just what happened.  The accupuncturist didn't tell me that. What a nightmare I was in.  Well, it will be interesting to see what happens at the end of my sessions. Thank you!

• Posted

No Problem, the reason I knew this was because I have acupuncture for food allergies (NAET Treatment) What the holistic doctor always tells me is that you should go home and rest, and not take alcohol or do anything that stimulates the system.
    • Posted

Well I guess I ruined myself.  Hahahaha.  I'm feeling better though and will finish the course of treatment and see what happens.  Hope you are well.

• Posted

Hi Susan, just saw this (I google when I’m in desperate discomfort like tonight!)  I think I’ll refocus after I write this note. Just wondering if you’ve had any success. Hope so! xoxo 
    • Posted

Hi Pat,  I don't see any relief due to the acupuncture.  I've been relying on Emuaid and ALoe VEra and tumeric for relief.  Hope you are doing better.  

• Posted

Oh so sorry to hear it. I’m still struggling but got emu oil which helped me last night enough to fall asleep just as the sun came up... using aloe & turmeric too. Nothing seems to help much these days. 

Hope it’s working for you 💜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.