Alternative to Bendroflumethiazide?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I've been on bendroflumethiazide 2.5 mgs for about 10 years for border line blood pressure. I want to change to something else because I am concerned about drug interaction with the anxiety med I am taking and electrolyte imbalance. I have been getting lightheadedness and feel worse after taking bendro.

I tried ramipril once but they gave terrible headaches.

Can anyone suggest an alternative preferably without the ankle swelling side effect?

Many thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That's a diuretic.  There are many alternatives.  Most common in the US seems to be hydrochlorothiazide (hctz) either by itself or combined with something else to be more potassium-sparing.

I thought a diuretic might prevent ankle-swelling, not cause it?

• Posted

Hi

I probably didn't make myself clear, sorry. The diuretic isn't causing ankle swelling but I know that certain hypertension drugs can cause it, these I want to avoid. I'm in the UK.

• Posted

High Jayn36190. I used to take 40 mg furosemide, it worked well, doctor took me off, because he said it dries  up my kidneys, now I ae nothing, I try to eat fruit and veg like bananas for potassium. 
    • Posted

Thanks Josef

I'm looking for an alternative to diuretics because they can affect electrolyte balance.

It's good that you are you are controlling your BP without meds.

Take care

• Posted

Thank you Jayn36190 for your comment. Here  is a list of natural diuretics, but watch out for the electrolyte imbalance.Lemon

cucumber

peach

pineapple

pear

watermelon

tea

cofffee

chocolate

hawthorn berry

Parsley

celery seed

dandelion tea or dandelion coffee at Holland and Barrett

Lemon

cucumber

peach

pineapple

pear

watermelon

tea

cofffee

chocolate

hawthorn berry

Parsley

celery seed

Lemon

cucumber

peach

pineapple

pear

watermelon

tea

cofffee

chocolate

hawthorn berry

Parsley

celery seed

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.