Alternative to beta blockers for person with Reynaud's

Posted , 3 users are following.

Beta blockers are aggravating my Reynaud's symptoms.  Atenolol has been prescribed to help manage my irregular heatbeat (long QT intervals).  Has anyone heard of a possible alternative?  My cardiologist refuses to think past Atenolol even though the manufacturers advise against using them if one has Reynaud's.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Flolan infusions given in hospital as an in patient worked for me
  • Posted

Beta blockers are used to slow/control your heart. You can also use Calcium Channel blocker to open the veins. (like Nifedipine). Alpha blockers are also used.  So, you can still use the beta blocker
  • Posted

Thank you Tim and Jenny.  Now I know there are alternatives I'll raise the matter again with the cardiologist.
  • Posted

Hi Val,

We have a fully comprehensive section regarding Reynauds Disease on this site, it does not look like anyone has informed you, so I'll give you the link.

https://patient.info/health/raynauds-phenomenon

It is quite indepth because my son has used it previously, it is a strange phenomenon, but can become worse - with my son all his nuckles started cracking and bleeding, it then spread to his elbows, knees and feet. No one else in our family suffers from it.

I hope that helps you.

Regards.

Les.

• Posted

Thank you Les, that is kind of you.  I shall check out the link and read it with interest.  Like your son, I believe I am the only one in my family with the condition thankfully. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.