Alternative to butter/margerine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all - just wondering if anyone had any good alternatives to butter/margerine because even the supposed low fat option still has a lot of fat in!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Been wondering the same thing, checked every butter in my local supermarket.
  • Posted

I use lactose free butter, most supermarkets, or dairy free margarine.
    • Posted

Never thought about dairy free! Will have a look in the larger shops smile
  • Posted

I've used the Laughing Cow EXTRA LIGHT cheese triangle.  Less than 20 cals and less than 5g fat in 100g. Can't remember exact quantities I'm afraid but I enjoyed it on my wholemeal roll tonight.  
    • Posted

Thank you! Do you use this as an alternative to butter? x
    • Posted

Hi it depends what it's for. I use fry light for cooking and then extra light laughing cow on bread or ryvita etc x what were you thinking about needing butter on? X
    • Posted

Just as an alternative to butter like on toast really! Tried the laughing cow today, only problem is it goes hard! 
    • Posted

Ha ha yes sometimes only butter will do!
  • Posted

Hi Kat, I use extra low fat philadelphia for when I want to make pasta or new potatoes, or in a sandwich - i.e instead of butter, but if I am having rice cakes or ryvita's etc for lunch I use laughing cow light or philadelphia light. Philadelphia have lots of different flavours and laughing cow do a blue cheese flavour - it's really mild blue cheese flavour but absolutely delicious.
    • Posted

Yes but be careful as I'm sure the laughing cow blue is not less than 5% fat. X
    • Posted

Hi, yes you are right, they are a bit more, but gosh they are yummy. I only have 1 mind you. It's just enough to spread over 1 ryvita - oh happy days!
  • Posted

Cottage cheese? I've had it in a sandwich with ham. ... maybe I'm revolting though lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.