Alternative to heart loop implant

Posted , 2 users are following.

Some years ago it was suggested that I have an implanted loop monitor, my symptoms went away and the consultant (and I agreed) decided not to go ahead. I've been a little concerned again (my symptoms are back) and as a first stage wondered if any of these new wrist worn "heart rate monitor" the things that you can pick up for about £30 and they download to an app on the mobile were any good or are they a total waste of money - anyone any experiences (I just want to be able to see what my heart rate is doing over any 24 hour period) ... many thanks - Roger

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Roger, I have all the above devices and more.

Are you in UK under the NHS? The NHS tend to use an "Anxiety" label to dismiss anything unless you can prove otherwise. They fobbed me off for two years until I bought myself a Prince 180B ECG machine, this mean I could take an ECG graph print of when I had the symptoms and show to cardiologists, from these they discovered I had Ventricular Tachycardia and planed a "Reveal" implantable loop.

Beta-Blockers gave me other debilitating symptoms that the NHS will not even consider and try and fob me off with the "anxiety" chestnut, one of these being breathlessness, as I noticed the NHS machine in hospital recorded my oxygen level as  a rather low 89%, I bought the wrist worn heart rate monitor along with other types of Oxy-meters as it was this function of the wrist strap that I was interested in.

I ended up getting mine for free after I left a negative review, they will only record your heart beat which is pretty meaningless unless it is showing it betting all day at a really high rate when you are doing nothing, but I found that most of the time the thing does not make a good enough contact with your wrist.

The only one of these heart rate monitors/recorders I would bother with are the ones that you wear like a watch and that have a lead that fits a little glove over your finger tip. But these are a lot more expensive than £30

Below I attach a print out of what this type of pulse/oxygen meter records but I do think the most useful device would be an ECG machine, around £150

• Posted

Thanks Peter for your informative response ... it really will help me assess what I need ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.