alternative to methocarbamol for fibromyalgia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone give me any advice on their experience of any other muscle relaxant similar to methocarbamol, (robaxin) I am on this but find that it isnt as effective as it used to be. Recently my gp put me on a five day course of diazepam 2mg because of the pain I was in..thats not one you can stay on, or I would want to stay on, but if anyone can suggest something else I can speak to my doctor about as an alternative I would be more than thankful

take care

grannylee

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Grannylee, can you tell me whether your pain is caused by muscle spasm or muscle pain associated with fibro? I am taking diazepam 2-4mgs for muscle jerks and to calm the nerves down when my muscles are buzzing so much I can't sleep. I don't know why there's so much bias against diazepam, I don't find it addictive at all and to be honest I found duloxetine to be the worst drug I have ever taken regarding side effects and withdrawal.

Caroline

• Posted

HI Caroline271...The pain is due to muscle spasm in my back with fibro which is aggirvated by the fact that I had spinal surgery to fuse two discs......the surgery didnt do one thing to help but it did make my back worse.....im not keen on diazepam I dont like the way it makes me feel, I have tried duloxetine, didnt know that was a muscle relaxant but it did nothing for me at all......I have an apt on wed with my doc so I am lookin for any suggestions at all, thanks for taking the time to make yours, I hope you are not in a bad day today, take care if yourself xxx
    • Posted

Hi, no, duloxetine is an an SSRI which affects the way pain is processed by the nervous system. I find diazepam works quite well to calm my nuscles down and I mentioned duloxetine only as a comparison as the medics are so against diazepam being used long term because it's 'so addictive' but think nothing about prescribing duloxetine which has such traumatic withdrawal symptoms. Hope you're having a good day.

Catoline

• Posted

Oops duloxetine is an SNRI.

Caroline.

• Posted

Hi Grannylee,  I have been taking Baclofen (a different muscle relaxant) for over 10 years and it is still working.  A word of warning, at first it is extremely sedating but over time that get's a little better although it does still help me to sleep.  I started on 10 mgs and gradually went up to 3 x 10 mgs.  It was prescribed for me by the pain clinic when I lived in Brighton.  It is about 85% effective as I do have some pain.  Its in my neck as I had infantile torticollis released by surgery.  That side of my neck is still very tight.  Hope this helps.  Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.