Alternative to Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was previously on citalopram and sertraline and a hoard of sleeping pills to manage acute depression but had horrid side effects, difficulty sleeping and little effect on mood. I was put on Mirtazapine in Late August and have since been thrilled with the results of a higher more stable mood, better concentration, energy and most importantly able to get to and stay asleep! I had however been chuffed that my weight had been stable and healthy at around the 9st mark throughout spring/summer and now is approaching 11st (Jan) and all weight around my middle. Note: I am barely 5ft so this is nearly an 'obese' BMI now. In hindsight I can see I put on a huge amount of weight immediately after starting these but just put it down to being happier. I have noticed an increase in cravings and appetite recently but although maintaining a healthy calorie intake of foods of great nutrition and exercising, I am neither shifting nor toning this weight. Is it really a choice of depression vs low/healthy weight or is there something similar and as effective as Mirtazapine without the weight gain? Or is there something I can take alongside the Mirtazapine to reduce this side effect as this is affecting my self-esteem and fitness now. Thank you.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi natasha.I was only on mirt for 3 month so it didnt affect my weight pluss they didnt work for me.but I think if they make you feel better I would try some other way to lose weight(if possible) if you have to come of them you mite get withdrawl symptoms and it could be some time before you find something suitable it must be hard. you could ask the doc to se if they can help.hope you stay well whatever you do
  • Posted

You could try raspberry ketones. These didn't work much for me but have made a massive difference to my husband who has dropped weight significantly without trying to diet. There is also green coffee bean extract which is supposed to raise your metabolism for a few hours after taking one. I have started on both this morning. I am slowly losing weight now whilst on mirtazapine. I have been on a strict diet for 8 days now and have dropped two pounds.
  • Posted

Hi Natasha 

I have been given a prescription today for mertazapine as the citalopram I'm on appears to not be suitable ( lack of sleep  increased periods of depression and no appetite for 12 weeks alongside outrageous anxiety ) how did you swap from your previous meds? I'm hopeful that this medication will work but am really worried about the transition , can't cope with the thought of anymore horrors to deal with !! I'm on 30 mg citalopram and have been prescribed 30 mg of mertazapine . Ps I don't care at the mo about weight gain as I've lost so much on the citalopram it would be a relief to want to eat for a while xx

• Posted

You need to taper off the citalopram and taper onto the mirtazapine. I'm surprised you have been given 30mg st start with. Normally people start on 15 mg. They will knock you for six after taking them and also you will be in a complete haze the following day. Each day gets better until finally you do not feel groggy at all the next day. I found the anti depressant effect started within days. They are by far the fastest acting ADs I have been on.
    • Posted

You have been started on a high dose of mirtazipine, 15mg is usually the starting dose and it is not a drug that you build up a tolerance on so don't often need to increase dose. I did not do the transition as recommended; I ran out of my previous medication and did not renew as I felt they weren't working (insomnia and odd twitches/sight problems and pins and needles etc). Whilst the mirtazipine was building up I had horrible side effects of the old drug leaving my system but had immediate better sleep from it as it makes you drowsy about an hour after taking. I noticed the weight gain about a week later. I have been exercising and eating a low carb high protein and vegetable lifestyle and continued to gain more weight! I have booked a GP appt to discuss any other options but my mood is now fantastic and stable but I know it is due to the medication and if I was to stop I would most likely deteriorate. However I don't plan to stay on medications prefer!
  • Posted

just wanted to say your post is enlightening to read. I am happy this Mirt drug is working for you, I am new to it , less than a week and have so many questions. I was told about the weight gain and being an underweight for my size woman, I am looking forward to the weight gain lol. but either way , Im happy that it is a drug that is working for you smile
    • Posted

Thank you. Doesn't work for everyone and certainly had unpleasant experiences on other ADs but yes this has got me to a much better place and I hope it can do the same for others, yourself included!
  • Posted

i forgot to say that last january i was 162 lbs and i started taking Garcinia Cambogia... you can buy it at the drug store , its over the counter and let me tell you , it works amazing. i lost 35lbs the first 4 months , i stopped taking it because i didnt want to lose anymore weight, good luck smile
    • Posted

Wow! Did you have to take it with anything else and was this along with eating well and exercise or did it work with no change to your lifestyle?
    • Posted

i dont have time to really exercise but my kids keep me plenty busy! you take it with your meal twice a day...thats it. i swear....it works!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.