Alternative to Morphine immediately after THP

Posted , 13 users are following.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to morphine after a THP? And if there is, how effective is it? Has anyone had an extended spinal? At some point I need another THP and need to avoid morphine. Thanks so much for your advice and information. 

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

They wouldn't give me anything else, and I'm morphine resistant ( it doesn't work on me ) I was in hospital 6 days with no pain relief. Worst time of my life . Can't describe the pain I was in . 😪

• Posted

Oh goodness me, that was what I was afraid of. You poor poor thing. I just can not imagine it. Was there nothing else they could have done to help you? Massive hugs to you for getting through it Bobbie x
  • Posted

Hi when I was in the hospital after my hip replacement I refused to take tramadol because they made me sick.  The doctor then gave me codeine because they can be taken with paracetamol.  They seemed to work.

All the Best Brenda C

• Posted

You are the second person to mention codeine, I took the paracetamol but not the codeine, I am just abit worried about just paracetamol for the first few days I really am.
    • Posted

Hi Rose

Why dont you try codeine. If they don't suite you, you an always stop taking them.  Most pain killers affect my stomach but I didn't have any problems taking both paracetamol and codeine.

Brenda C

• Posted

Hi there l like Maggie had GA with a

leg block give once your away with the

fairies into groin really good no pain

and from then on just codien and

paracetamol every four hours.

Good luck 👍 🙌

• Posted

Thanks Anna, I am hoping this plan will work. What day did you start the codeine and paracetamol? 
    • Posted

Hi Rose they started me on them the same day

I was back on the ward early afternoon and

Was given codien and paracetamol early eve

then 4 times a day ,took them for a couple of

weeks at home(home after two days) then as

and when I needed them.

Also injected into my tummy for five weeks

really not as bad as sounds you don't feel

it pre loaded injections very very fine needle

this for your blood thinning.

With the leg block felt no pain only uncomfy

from op area ,after pain we had before op

this is nothing.

Up and walking less than 24 hours after op

best thing I could have done I wish you well

you'll be fine I worried terrible before op

and really there was no need everyone

so kind and carding.xxx👍 🙌

• Posted

Anna thank you very much for this information.

The first two nights out of ten what was your pain like on codeine and paracetamol just so I know what to expect? The first two days were the worst for me with my first THP, so keen to get it right for the next one...as you say the pain is horrendous beforehand so gives us some advantage immediately post op!!! And at least it is a getting better kind of pain and not the mind numbing bone pain of before.

• Posted

Hi Rose I can remember staff nurse coming

and asking how my pain levels were did I

need more pain relief,as I lay on the bed at that

moment I had no pain what so ever just uncomfy

round op area that was the first day ,second day

the same no pain your leg feels like, you no

when you go to dentist and your face feels numb

after a filling ,your leg feels like that for a

couple of days well mine did,walked to loo

within hours,as you properly no the only time it

was a bit more uncomfortable was getting in

and out of bed for pee did yelp a bit then,but

I'll take that after other pain.

Cryed when I realized I was walking without

pain in hospital.

Do have good and bad days still take the odd codien but in the most try to do without.

• Posted

Rose:

Tramadol was prescribed for my THR. Morphine causes constipation and  aslo can cause issuses with people who have respiratory issuse like me (COPD).

• Posted

That is another option, thank you so much. Feeling less stressed if I know I have an alternative option - I hope you are recovering well?
    • Posted

Yes. It's Thanksgiving Day and we have family over. I am recovering quite well. Took my first walk today

And needed to sit down and rest but I was happy I was able to do that.

Have a wonderful day!

• Posted

hi doctor wanted to put my wife on opium based patch which is highly addictive

she changed doctor and new one has her on naproxen and high dose of advil she has some pain but as she says it tolarable compared to getting addicted to opium or morphine or oxycondon

• Posted

Hi Rose.There is an I've push medication called Toradol that is very good.Toradol is like an IV form of Ibuprofin so it really works well Post operatively.There is an NSAD called Celebrex that may be good to your stomached,and I use the Tramadol,alternating with Tylenol arthritis strength.Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.