Alternative toMirtazapine which helps sleep

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have an appointment with the doctor next week to discuss possibly changing to a different AD. I love mirtazapine in every way but for the weight gain. I need to lose a stone and am dieting. I have lost 2 lbs in a week, but if I can't sustain it, I need to change drugs. Last time I tried to come off mirtazapine I suffered terrible nausea and insomnia (I tend to sleep badly in any case but mirtazapine has really helped). Can anyone suggest a different AD that really helps with sleep but does not cause weightgain? I don't get on with SSRIs. Thanks

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

i would be grateful to hear more about this.

• Posted

I have started a new thread about losing weight on mirtazapine but it has gone to moderation due to it containing a link. Hopefully it will be passed as okay soon. smile
  • Posted

Hi Pixie

it's a known side effect of Mirtazapine that it puts on weight because it is one of the few sedative antidepressants.

best wishes

nessie

• Posted

I've now been to the doctors and am going to stay on mirtazapine for the time being. Doctor is checking my thyroid function to see if it might be a bit low. But I'm sure it's the mirtazapine. I am going to stay on it for now as it suits me in all other ways but for weight. Doctor has given me a few tamazepam for use in emergencies. I'm happy with that as it's a drug that works very well for me and it's never become habit forming because I only use it if I'm still lying awake at 2 in the morning. Just having it there makes me feel more relaxed and more likely to sleep!
    • Posted

I agree that having something available if needed can help you sleep. I keep a zopiclone tablet ready next to my bed, I haven't had to take one for ages!
  • Posted

I have been taking 15 mg of Mirt.. For a week now Initialy it was giving me a decent 4-5. Hours sleep, but now the sedative effect seems to have worn off, all I have is a hunger craving..which I do not want, as I have had HA and do not need  extra weight, 

my GP , says he can do no more for me.. I'm starting over with panic attacks daytime and waking me at night.. As far as my thyroid goes my funtion levels are normal,so I'm told 

what can I do, I seem to be on an ever revolving carousel.. 

• Posted

I would ask if you can up your medication. 15 mg of mirt soon wore off for me, but 30 mg was great. Unfortunately the hunger and cravings continue. However, they DO level off. I could live with my weight if I'm honest but want to shed a stone so I am light enough to ride my young horse. I don't want to have to sell her, but I heed to lose a stone to be a comfortable weight for her and to be back to what I used to be before mirtazapine.
  • Posted

Hi Lrosemary

you could be given Propanol which is a beta blocker and can be a beta blocker, but is also used for anxiety.  I'm on 40 mg with 2 tablets per day.  It takes about an hour and a half to "kick I " in the morning but does take the "edge" off the panic attacks.

best wishes

Nessie

• Posted

I was put oon propanol a few years back for my migraines but unfortunately due to me having such low blood pressure and slow heart rate, it makes me extremely ill and slows my heart to dangerous levels. I agree it is a great drug for many people, but not me, sadly.
    • Posted

Hi Nessie,

thank you for you're advice about beta blockers,

but I already take Bisoprolol ,a beta blocker, as I have atrial fibrillation ,

But only a very low dose, 20 mg pd

as it reduces my heart rate.. To low.

why is it that it so difficult, to get any kind of definative help of the GP s

i was only given 2 weeks supply, of Mirt. Now I have to either make another app to see her, and feel a nuisance, or try adding it to my current, medication list.. 

I would prefer to have one that is not a sedation type antidepressent, 

as I take Diazapam 

many thanks for you're reply Nessie.

• Posted

Hi Rosemary I take Bisoporol for the same reason as you.Im on lots of medication for different reasons, Mirt being one of them, which at the moment Im trying to come off. It's one of those drugs which is easy to get on but really hard to withdraw from.  I also take Diazapam and have done for years, I just take it as needed. In my oppinion its the better drug.
  • Posted

rolleyesHello evergreen

thank you for reply.

i think I'm inclined to agree with you, as far as Diazapam concerned..

i have taken it myself for quite a few years also, but my GP wants me off it.

i have reduced from a total of 12 mg pd ..to 6 ... Quite proud of myself, lol

but since this bout of depression, and anxiety attacks started, I find I have to an extra one to get me through the day...

as far as Mirt is concerned, I would prefer something different, that is not so sedative,,and have the most awful nightmares, since I started on it,

do you think after taking it for nearly 2 weeks, it would be difficult to come off it? 

As I said my GP is not at all helpful..

Watching the start of my husbands decline over the last 6 months due to Parkinsons,

has really, knocked me for six....as he was only diagnosed 5 years ago, but has 

rapidly gone down hill. And the meds have awful side effects..

it's heart breaking for me to see.. I do not have family, around to help,

much as. They have families or live quite always away..

so this is how I ended up, on anti depressants ..

thank you for taking time to read my long rant...rolleyes

• Posted

Hi rosemary44014.

I'd hesitate to give you advice on tranquillisers but I know my GP said I could only have 2 weeks supply of diazepam when I was desperate, because it shouldn't be taken long term. I'm on a low dose of haloperidol which is a lot safer, apparently. I've been reducing it slowly and had no withdrawal symptoms. It controlled the anxiety and panic attacks I was having. Might that help?

• Posted

I wouldn't just abruptly stop the mirtazapine even after 2 weeks. I would cut it down slowly. However, the sedative effect does wear off. I don't feel in the slightest bit sedated now in the morning when I wake up. I feel totally normal. It probably took me 4 - 6 weeks before I was properly out of the 'fog'.
    • Posted

I agree. If you stop any drug without tapering that helps you sleep you will likely get a rebound effect of insomnia. Tapering over a few days should be enough, I took it for 3-4 weeks and then tapered over 4 days and was fine.

However if you go cold turkey but are prepared for and can handle the sleeplessness for a few days it will usually correct itself.

• Posted

Rosemary I know how u feel about being knocked off balance by your husband's Parkinsons disease. My partner has it as well. For about 13 or so years. He gets Council help as we don't live together . It's very difficult watching him struggle. My heart goes out to u. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.