Alternative treatments to Isotretinoin?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Maybe I am being too hopeful here but I would like to know if there are other treatments for Acne which is nodular and cystic/boils, other than Isotretinoin and all its variant names.

I've been given 10mg starting dose of the drug by my Dermatologist a few weeks ago but I haven't taken it mostly because I worry about the side effects. I will be having a consultation soon with them on the phone and wonder how to explain to them why I haven't taken it so they will understand.

I've been through a difficult time right now being stressed often with low mood, and been more anxious since the current events. And I thought taking this particular drug at this time would be a extra weight on my shoulders monitoring for side effects and I have dry skin already from eczema so taking this drug has been such a dilemma for me.

I've suffered from bad acne suddenly since August last year. It is localised mostly on my face and cheeks but particularly bad on my neck and I've got scars from it. I took Lymecycline for a few months but it made no difference, the same with an over-the-counter cream.

I get consistent whiteheads forming in different locations on my face but the worst are the nodular ones which turn into boils on my neck and these are quite common..

I know I've been offered a treatment plan for it but as mentioned I am reluctant because of the side effects and my family think I should try everything before taking it.

Are there other prescriptions such as topical Retinoids that could help, without serious potential side effects like Crohn's disease? What other treatments help? I've consumed dairy products for many years without bad acne and eaten the same foods for many months so it isn't likely to be dietary. Or maybe it is more stress or hormone related. What should I say to my Dermatologist? He says things like the topical solutions won't help without explanation.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey!

I also have struggled with acne for years and years, i am now 29 years old and still struggling. I have tried everything possible and now have decided to go onto Roaccutane. However, due to quarantine, i am unable to proceed with my blood tests in order to start my treatment.

In the mean time i have started using products called 'Obagi' They are very strong and designed to treat active acne, skin pigmentation etc.... Their products really are amazing. it may be worth looking into this for now if you don't decide to go onto the medication. Espicially during isolation, its the perfect time to try it. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.