alternatives

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi. Has anyone had success with any alternative treatments ie osteopathy, chiropractic, accupunture etc. I tried many years ago to no avail but am thinking of trying again as no help from doctors. The last treatment i sought was from a physiotherapist who assured me she was an expert on headaches so i gave it a go, over 2 sessions she attached a tens machine to my neck and left the room for 10 minites each time and charged me £130 and of course no relief. Any suggestions please?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sudden blinding, horrendous headaches had me in A&E twice, second time admitted for scan ( that never happened).i kept saying these were not migraines, had those for 40 yrs, this was far worse. Was told it was probably a different type of migraine. 6 hospital drs plus GP saw me. 

went to Chiropractor. Within 5 minutes if examining me she had identified the exact problem, told me origin ( from which I could work out the cause) , how the pain was traveling, showed me diagram of nerves causing the pain ( exactly where I'd drawn along my head to drs in hospital) 

few weeks if treatment, sorted. It cost me about £200 in treatment but the pain went. 

It will return if I don't exercise me neck or sleep with more than 1 pillow but she also showed me how to stop the pain---mice on neck for 10-15 mins, small movements, rest, retreat cycle each hour ( only ever had to do 2 cycles) so the £200 bought me lasting relief, worth every penny.

• Posted

Hi Holly. Thank you for that

You have confirmed what i suspect is wrong with me although at the momment going through a good spell which means the pain is bearable but any day now it will return with avengence. I have tried to trust the GP's and neuroligists i've seen and taken all the meds prescribed so now is the time to try a choiropractor again. There seem to be alot in my area who all claim to experts in headaches so how do i choose one?

• Posted

ICE on neck---no mice involved!!!!!!! My rubbish typing....
  • Posted

I went by recommendation. Friend has shoulder/ back problems and has seen this chiro for a few years. One I go to also has a PhD in Chiropractic so I thought at least she's studied a lot!

i think if someone can recommend one that's the best to go with. 

It's worth a try--I couldn't believe that so many different drs checked me over in A&E. I even said I'd hurt my neck and used the term referred pain and still not one of them sussed  it. As long as it wasn't meningitis or a stroke they weren't interested.

good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.