Alternatives to mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

hey there, I know I need to see doc but waiting for appointment with my doc is hard work. I was just wondering what alternative is there to mirtazapine. I have previously been on fluxetoine, sertraline and venal famine. Finally mirtazapine helped me sleep but excessively and major weight gain. Is there a similar anti depressant close to this tablet without such major weight gain.

tanks for any help

richard 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have just been prescribed mirtazapine,

but after reading many if the previous comments on this forum,I have not as yet started the medication.. 

The only part if this medication that would help me is having a good nights sleep, I do not want to put weight on,, as I take beta blockers, and they make it difficult to lose weight,

plus I have heart issues, I just wonder if our GPs actually consider the interactions with the drugs we take all the time,.. 

Sorry I do not have anything positive to say.. 

• Posted

it may not be so much of side effect for you, maybe give it a go if go suggests it. It's amazing for sleep though
    • Posted

Hi

U ar quite right re the contraindications with other meds and side affects is another issue. I stopped mirtazapine after a month.  I may have been sleeping but was hallusinAting and was like hungover the following day,  then I noticed the quick weight gain.  I just felt these are wrong for me

I also discovered patients should not take mirtazapine  if you suffer from hypercholestrol which I have a long history off,  so in all not for me

• Posted

I'd say Trazodone. It's sedating like Mirt. I don't know how it compares when it comes to weight gain. I think it can stimulate your appetite but perhaps not as much as Mirt. 
  • Posted

Was on fluoxetine for 8 years at least then I was changed to mirtazapine but after 8 weeks my go stopped them because of side effects, swelling to feet and legs along with muscle ache in virtually every muscle. I was sleeping very well with mirtazapine. However he changed it to Venlafaxine 75 msg. After 2 week I noticed I was going down mentally not sleeping properly. I contacted go and he immediately increased to 150mgs this was about 4 weeks ago. All I can say at the moment my sleep pattern has improved somewhat I feel better in myself and I feel more positive. I know it is still early days and I have to face being on my own next week when hubby returns to work and my son returns to his raf base

not sure about weight gain, hope this helps with decision making.

• Posted

before mirtazapime I was on venal faxing but I asked to come of due to severe sweating.ndo you get this?
    • Posted

No can't say I have but we are in the middle of winter, and my husband doesn't like the heating on much during the day.
  • Posted

Hi Richard

mirtazapine is a sedative antidepressant.  The others are a different family and "pep" you up.  Trasadone is another sedative one but I found I had tremors with it and to stop taking it and so was put back on Mirtazapine.  I've also been given a low dose of Sertraline to try to lift my mood - I've been on it for 3weeks with no change so far.

best wishes

Nessie

• Posted

Hi Richard

sweating is a common side effect with MirtazapineMirtazapine

• Posted

Hi Richard -again!

i gained 2 stones in 4 months, then was put on Trasadone but  even on a low dose had severe tremors and so, unfortunately am back on Mirtazapine

• Posted

Yeah same here, it's gettin me down the weigh gain so need to change hopefully find one I can use to loose the weight
  • Posted

Hi all,

just wondering if there are any positives to taking Mitrazapine .

wondering if setraline would be a better option, 

i can't afford to gain weight, because of previous HA ,

and I have night sweats anyway..

beginning to give up hope of anything, out there that's 

going to work, for me,

I'm housebound with panic attacks and severe stage 2 anxiety.

the reasons being I am the sole carer of my husband who has Parkinson's,

land I also have regular Atrial Fibrillation.. 

Thank s for you're in put guys .. 

• Posted

helol I was on sertraline for a bit, did not find it working for me, but every drug is different for different peeps. I'm on mirtazapine now, great drug for sleep aid, but like I said battling weight gain. Good luck what you try but it all is a try and test game to see what suits you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.