Alternatives to TURP in the UK

Posted , 10 users are following.

Not convinced about going down the Urolift or PAE route as quite a few on here say it hasn't worked for them. FLA isn't available here yet on the NHS or Private but I see that Richard Hindley at Basingstoke has been doing Rezum for about £3000 privately. He has only done 20 but outcomes for patients have looked promising. Anybody on here from the UK had an alternative to TURP performed in the UK and what was the outcome or have you travelled outside of the UK for a procedure? Thoughts from our colleagues in other parts of the World most welcome.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Rezum is also being done at Charing X hospital, London but I'm not sure if that is NHS yet. I also think there are more side effects to Rezum than FLA but if anybody knows more about that do let us know

• Posted

Interesting that Richard Hindley at Basingstoke who does Rezum hasn't had any ejaculatory issues from his 20 patients, or that was what was stated in the UK Daily Mail article I read recently.

• Posted

I had a PAE and wouldn't consider anything else before trying it. It's a shot to nothing, if it doesn't work all the other options are still available, that is not the case for the rest. OK, could mean paying twice ,but just remember when people come on here saying it didn't work, that is not a simple "doesn't work". People are much more likely to come on here when it hasn't "worked" than those for whom it has. BPH is just not a simple one size fits all problem and by no means well enough understood yet.

• Posted

I'm a Brit living in Hong Kong. I recently flew to Houston and had FLA there (operation complete on 6 July 2017). It was expensive but I looked at all the options and felt this was right for me. My prostate was 185cc. I'm very happy with the results. 

• Posted

Peter hi, I'm thinking of going to Huston too, from London. How were you after the op, how long in Huston did you stay before returning home & was it easy to deal with the cathether? I've also been looking at Rezum, do you know anything about that & how it compares with FLA? Sorry a lot of questions but I need to make a decision soon & want to make as an informed decision as possible. Do you know anyone in the UK who has had it done?

• Posted

Hello all,

I had considered PAE as I was having all the symptoms of BPH. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.  I was told, because of the size of my prostate,  my only option was prostatectomy.  After extensive research, including FLA, I opted for HIFU (I don't know if HIFU is available in UK).  This procedure took care of my BPH issues and destroyed the cancer.  It will be exactly one year August 22nd and everything is still working great.  (And when I say "everything", I mean EVERYTHING).

• Posted

I had a Urolift done on the NHS at Frimley Park.  Slightly mixed result but in general more positive than negative
  • Posted

Had PAE on the NHS at Guys Hospital, London. The Urologist was only able to do one side as apparently the artery on the left side also fed my bladder & if the blood had been cut off from that I would really have been in trouble - so the operation did not have a successful outcome. I should really get a 2nd opinion from a urologist who has done the op many times. So PAE isn't for everyone.

• Posted

I would try something other they a turp.  That may not either.  Just givey ou more side effect thenyo u need.  THereh ave been a few men on here over the last few weeks that wish they never had it.  To many problem with healing.  I had a Urolift 2 1/2 years ago and all have been fine.  THere was a 5 year study on Urolift that all the mana re doing great and no retro.  Pae is ok but there are no many men that end up with retro and that is not what they are looking for.  Rezum is working well for some of the men.  You have to look at all the procedures and see what side effect you can deal with.  THe only one that does not have any is Urolift.  The other 9 procedure have many.  Also a Turp can take up to a year for some men to heal.  Take care and good luck  Ken
    • Posted

Thanks all for your feedback. I am going to look more closely at the pros and cons of Rezum, Urolift and PAE. Research trials of PAE in the UK soon to be released in the hope that our NHS will fund it, otherwise will go private.
    • Posted

Andy, you can get PAE on the NHS at Charing X hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.