Altitude, colds, and neck pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm currently out in New Mexico and have noticed since I've been out here, my neck has hurt almost every day for four days. I came down with a cold (on top of my mono) a day before leaving and it's messed with my sinuses, making me lightheaded off and on, and giving me headaches that spread behind my cheeks and eyes and cause sinus pressure. I'm still having brain fog too which seems worse with my cold, but the neck pain worries me most. It isn't constant and neither is the headache, both usually come on several hours after waking or in the evening so I'm not going to the doctor unless absolutely necessary since my doctor is in my home state, but I'm wondering if any of you have noticed increased neck aches (or even brain fog) with mono in higher altitudes or with colds/sinus problems?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

mine started on a trip to santa fe around april 15th ! i was fine before i got there then woke up and felt AWFUL !

had no clue what it was so made my way out to look around.

i was only out an hour and then had to get a taxi back to the hotel .

i felt pretty awful the whole 3 days i was there . came back home and felt fine so thought was just the altitude . then a slow decline with the last few months month 6 and 7 being the worst .

kudos to you for making that trip though youre obviously doing ok ...but yes i believe altitude can set it off .

• Posted

Hi Lori,

It's so strange that it was also NM for you! I didn't have any problems with it my last day there and haven't had any problems (so far) on my way home except for when I kept my head bent over my phone for too long and had the problem for a few minutes. Reading up on it, I now see that it could have been From altitude, sinus problems, or even a tension headache for sitting in an uncomfortable for too long. But the lightheadedness was definitely from altitude at the very least.

I hope you start improving more soon, you have my best wishes!

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

So sorry to hear you're having these symptoms since you've been out in New Mexico. I've never really spent any time at altitude but it does seem to make sense that it could could these kind of symptoms, particularly the headaches and sinus aches, and even more so when going through mono. I just hope everything settles down soon and that those symptoms can improve - thinking about you and hang in there. And it may be the case when you come back down to sea level everything will be a bit more settled again, I do hope so.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for the reassurance. The last day and the trip home haven't been too bad (so far anyways) and I'm hoping it'll stay that way. I was wondering if you ever experienced or heard of someone else having occasional eye floaters with mono as well? I know it can cause dry eyes, but I haven't seen many articles mentioning eye issues with it.

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

Hope that you had a safe trip home and that being back in your normal environment and out of the altitude can help things settle down a bit. I do know they say altitude can cause many horrible symptoms and when dealing with that on top of mono it must have been tough for sure, hoping so much that the headaches, neck pain and sinus issues can stay well away in future.

It's hard for me to remember exactly as it was a good while ago I had the virus, but definitely I have read lots of people on the site here talk about eye floaters and things like that, so it does seem that this can be something that can occur during the virus. I think when you're system is knocked sideways these kind of things can certainly occur and be frightening too, I do hope that this settles down soon and for a more settled week ahead.

Hang in there Ciela and thinking of you - and remember you will get there and back to full health again, I still truly believe that thanks to Jesus.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.