Alupurinol causing gout outbreak

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I’ve recently been diagnosed with a kidney condition which my consultant thinks may have been the cause of previous gout attacks. I was put on allopurinol to lower the uric acid levels and warned it may result in a gout attack. Well, it did, and I could not walk for days. The gout attacked my other foot which has so far been unaffected by gout. That was 4 weeks ago and I am still unable to walk properly. Now walking with a limp. Before this I was relatively fit and healthy, running, playing and coaching football. I’m 39 years old and this medication has changed my lif for the worse. I tried colchicine without success. I am thinking about stopping allopurinol to try get my life back. Please help!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Can't speak to the kidney problem.  How have your past gout attacks gone?  I know in my attacks, even after the main pain is gone it can take weeks before you're walking completely normally.

Look into celery seed as an alternative to allopurinol.

• Posted

Hi, previous attacks have lasted no more than a week and occurred perhaps every 3-6 months. This current attack was much worse, debilitating really. It strikes me that it is the medication which has caused this so I question why I should continue taking it.
  • Posted

I'd give it a bit longer if I was you. I've never had an attack last less than 3 weeks and one was 10 weeks. Allopurinol's the correct treatment by all accounts although I'm not on it myself. (I only have 1 attack/year on average, by watching my diet.) Colchicine is only reckoned to work for 30% of people; it works for me, so another reason I don't need Allopurinol.

If, for whatever, reason you are prone to Gout then it's life-changing, there's no way round that I'm afraid.

• Posted

Sounds all a bit soul destroying really. I have been told that hemp based products could be an option so may try this 
    • Posted

Yeah, I was in my fifties before I had my first attack so I was starting other long term ailments too. People swear by all sorts of weird and wonderful things and I've tried most of them without success. If it works for you then fine but if you were getting attacks that frequently I'd still persist with the Allopurinol for a bit yet. The only thing I've found to mostly keep it at bay is diet esp alcohol and red meat. I mostly avoid all of the other dodgy things too. We're all different and there's no quick fix for all, just got to work through it and find your own solutions.

• Posted

I have only ever had one attack and it was short-lived so I was lucky. I react badly to things that the rest of the world tolerates so was only given Piroxicam to apply to the skin.

I looked up likely food culprits and found that in the previous week I had twice eaten mushrooms, shell fish, marmite ( every day ) and asparagus. ( A friend grows it and was very generous ).

I've gone back to the prawns but kept off the other three. This was more than a year ago.

May not be relevant but thought it was worth mentioning. Hope you improve soon

• Posted

Stop aallopurinol. Start taking cherry and celery seed tablets. Hank
    • Posted

What about hemp oil? I’ve heard this could be helpful 
  • Posted

The most effective relief that I've found is high potency Bromelain, GDU 3000. Bromelain is an enzyme that dissolves uric acid in your body, its made from pineapples. Bromelain will dissolve the uric and and reduce the swelling.   It you add colchicine and your favorite NSAID, it really powerful relief. I've had a swollen red foot and within 4 hours its almost completely better. 

• Posted

The most effective relief that I've found is high potency Bromelain, GDU 3000. Bromelain dissolves uric acid in your body, its made from pineapples.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.