Always getting an upset stomach?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've noticed over the past few weeks I'm always getting an upset stomach(I say that as my stools are loose but not always watery) , regardless of what foods I avoid. It seems like a silly thing to go to the doctors about but it's really starting to become a pain in the butt (no pun intended) I always have to have imodium on me and frequently end up having to take it if I ever want to go out for the day. I used to get diarrhea along with my anxiety but I don't in anyway feel anxious, it even happens when I'm just sat at home doing nothing. I did wonder if the anxiety brought along ibs as when I suffered badly certain foods would trigger an episode.

Has anyone experiences this? Should I be concerned?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Well .... anxiety and stress can be certainly behind it...

For the time being get yourself high fibre diet and see how is it then.... avoif alcohol and smoking... no fizzy drinks...

If it doesnt settle tgen you defo need more.... blood test..stool test for h pylori... endoscopy and more if nothing found within thoose lines.

Best of luck.

• Posted

I've tried upping the fibre, avoiding foods which I thought was triggering it. The past 3 days have been the worst and I cut out all milk and chocolatey products as I thought it could be an intolerance.

I'm just lost and so down because of it. An upset stomach used to trigger anxiety attacks with me and although I. Cope a lot better, it just overall brings my mood down and makes me on edge. I'm scared to eat anything in case it causes it. It's making me miserable.

• Posted

Have you had other things ruled out before? It could be ibs?
    • Posted

I've never been seen for it, in the past I mentioned it and my doctor just ruled it out as a symptom anxiety was causing, which I definitely think it was. This time it came out of nowhere and I'm just baffled by it! I haven't been stressed but now this is stressing me out.

• Posted

Ibs comes and goes... and yes it is triggered by stress as well... it could be an option
  • Posted

This sounds like IBS.  Anxiety and food can trigger episodes.  Try a food diary to see what foods are the problem and see your doctor to confirm what you have.  I have stress related IBS with no food triggers.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! I've been keeping a food diary and cutting out foods I thought were causing it to no avail. I can eat the exact same thing for 3 days and be fine the first day, loose the second and fine the third.. It's just so weird

• Posted

IBS is like this.  One day a food is fine and the next day, the same food can bother you.  See a different doctor and ask again about IBS.  IBS is not just a symptom, it is an illness in itself often caused by anxiety.  It can come out of nowhere; my IBS did. However, when I look back, I had had six months of stress before my symptoms appeared.
    • Posted

I suffered a lot in the past as I also think ibs hit me when anxiety did! It hadn't bothered me for a while other than when I didn't avoid dark chocolate as for some reason if I eat too much of that it seems to flare it up. That would only last a day or two. This time though its just pretty much every other day which worries me! I have a doctors appointment today so hopefully they will be able to prescribe something to manage it and do some tests to find out what is causing it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.