Always thought it was a condition associated with menopausal women

Posted , 5 users are following.

I always thought that LS was more associated with older women because of the lack of hormones and natural lubrication , but after reading other comments on this forum I realise it can occur at any age. I am 69 and seem to be able to keep the symptoms under control, I'm well past the menopause , I wonder if age has anything to do with how severely you suffer, certainly seems to me that you younger ladies seem to suffer terribly, my heart goes out to you all . Just been prescribed Vagifem pesseries for sexual problems so time will tell if more hormones make the condition worse

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When I was first diagnosed that seemed to be what I was finding, that most women were post menopausal. I'm 27, but fortunately because of this site I've found other around my age. When it came on it was horrible but it's been a lot better now with treatment. No fusing here. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse when I do go through menopause.
  • Posted

I'm 66 and I would agree with your post, Judy.

I'll add that I had another problem, namely gut issues which have been alleviated through diet. Both my daughters-in-law had similar issues but theirs were much more severe, involving pain and in one case, long-term loss of energy. Now they both run marathons after changing their diets and focusing on exercise.

So my theory - my homeopathic GP doctor's theory - around all this is that people are developing problems earlier because of the pesticide-laden non-organic overprocessed foods out there now (we are what we eat!) and also because of the stresses of society now. These are issues that need to be addressed by society, but right now it's up to the individual since mainstream doctors are slow to catch up.

• Posted

andrea, I agree, you might be interested in hearing my story...

I have been eating healthily for quite some time, in fact, I am Gluten and Dairy free.  I live in Costa Rica, often referred to as Paradise!! For quite some time I would go down to the local market on a Sunday and buy my vegetables, never really thinking too hard about where they came from, or whether or not they were organic, I guess for some reason I just presumed that in such a little country that promotes "Pura Vida" that they wouldn't be spraying their crops excessively, but I was wrong!! through research I found out that Costa Rica is right up there as being a country that uses more pesticides than most other countries, even CHINA!!! and so I started buying Organic, but it was too late for me, the delicious figs I had been eating every day had given me a horrendous rash on my face, (Hives) which was what prompted me to realise something was very wrong.  All this happened a few months ago and I now have  a serious problem with sulfites, (sulfites are preservatives) and in nearly everything!!

My life has changed, and not for the better, I can hardly eat anything, my choices are very limited, I cannot even think about having a meal in a restaurant,  it's terrible, and it was all triggered from eating the dried fruit from the local market!!  Sulfites are known to be in wine, dried fruit, and many many other foods, and so if you are able to always buy organic!!

• Posted

I'm one of the lifers – I had LS when I was 22 (painful sex about half the time) and am now 63. It has come and gone over the years. These days I think of it as an allergy to sex. Abstinence is the single most helpful thing I can do. But it did progress fast while I was celibate and at the height of menopause.
  • Posted

I was just diagnosed in June but first noticed symptoms in April. I am 42. I was also checked for some other things and found out that I am not yet starting menopause, I have fibroids (quite a few of them but since they aren't causing any pain we are just monitoring for now) and my thyroid levels were off but not enough that my Dr would treat them. I don't know if any or all of this ties into LS. Another thing I find very interesting is that I became sexually active with my current BF right around the time I started having issues and he just happens to have psoriasis, another auto-immune disease. It is hard to believe that none of these would be related but knowing WHICH are and aren't seems a daunting task to figure out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.