Alzheimer's Disease

Posted , 11 users are following.

I cared for my husband who developed Alzheimer's Disease in 1996, he only went into a nursing home when I could no longer care for him 18 months ago

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Loretta

Thank you for sharing your post.  There definitely comes a time when it is important for our loved

ones to be in a nursing home where they can be safe.  As it progresses, your husband would need

that 24 hr care and you need to know that your health is important too.  It is very hard physically

and emotionally to care for our loved ones with that condition.  You cared for your husband for a very long time and that had to be difficult for you.  He was blessed to have you Loretta. Now is the time to remember the good times you shared.  Know that you took care of him as long as you could,

I pray that you will have strength, comfort and peace.  If you wish to talk some more, please send out another post.  Take Care  and  Best wishes to you.

• Posted

You have done an amazing job Loretta! 20 years is a very long time; did he have early onset Alzheimer's? My mother in law developed frontal lobal alzhmiers in her 50's (at least)...it took a long time to be diagnosed. My father in law cared for her, hiding it from the family for many years (they lived abroad); she just seemed very odd. When he passed away we had to bring her back to England to go into a nursing home. I spent the nest 8 1/2 years caring for her. This took a lot of emotional and other energy bringing up my family, working full time etc. She passed away last year.

I am sharing this because I believe you have done a great job and just because he is in a nursing home now doesn't minimise the involvement you will still have in his life! Thank goodness you can now have done me time, sleep well etc. I truly believe your husband will still benefit from your visits etc. Even though they appear ' not to know you' I am certain on a different level they do as I have witnessed time and time again the positive effects that family visits have on 'the patient' after the family have left. Bless you for all you have done and will continue to do. X💕

• Posted

Thank you Sharon, it was only 20 years. I was determined he would not sink into Alzheimer's not knowing anything, not seeing beautiful things.

20 years went by very fast. By the time I knew something was wrong he was disappearing into Alzheimer's. I had to challenge Drs and the NHS about medication for him. My dad used to say I was dynamite in a small package. He got the medication, I kept abreast of different medications for Alzheimer's. No internet in those days. I simply refused to let him sink. I bought a caravan and took him all over the UK.

I don't mind hard work but the years took their toll. At 70 I was finding it difficult.

I do a 60 mile round trip to go and see him as often as I can. We were always very close and to an extent still are. A real true love comes around once in a lifetime.

• Posted

Yours is truly a besutiful love story. You can have peace knowing that you did everything in your power to help your husband. I can only assume that this long trip of yours to visit him is unavoidable. It must be hard on you that he isn't closer. God Bless you both. Xx

• Edited

give him omega 3,, b complex and baacopa monieri...heal his brain not patch it up
  • Posted

what is the basic symptoms of Alzheimer's disease can anybody conform me .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.