Am I a bad mom?

Posted , 4 users are following.

ill be honest cuz i feel like i have a lot on my chest. i never wanted to be a mom in my life ever, but I was raised as a christian and when i found i was pregnant i knew i couldnt abort due to my religious beliefs. Even though i had a baby out of wed lock.

Anyways fast forward three years my daughter has been diagnosed with autism. Its been a big blow but i knew she had something wrong with her due to her meltdowns she can have one that last 3 hours, she avoided eye contact and was non verbal. Altough she is talking a bit now shes not there yet.

i love her but my problem is i get so frustrated with her. i thought getting her pets would help with her being so needy but nope i got to watch her even more i saw her choking the cat and trying to suffocate our dog with a pillow and body slamming him. my pets run away when they see her. even taking her to the store is a task i dread. some days are better than others but most i just end up so frustrated i cry. she doesnt understand how to calm down, car rides are hell with her, this morning i served us both cereal and shw grabbed my plate instead of hers and i told her about it and she gave me a big fit i let her keep my plate. she ended up flipping the plate upside down just to make me mad. i hate when she stims i find it embarassing. i cant leave the room for five seconds otherwise shes right behind me crying. she also self harms and hits me i heard it gets better for some people and some people it doesnt i just hope it does. idc if she never talks but i just hope she calms down thats all i wish for just her not yelling not giving me a hard time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Erika - so sorry to read how difficult all this is for you. You are not a "bad mom." Your child has genetic disorder that cannot be cured, it can only be managed. Unfortunately these early years are more difficult because it's hard to reason with a toddler even when they are not Autistic. I don't profess to know much about Autism except for the fact that i am a twin and my brother is Autistic. Our mother - a clinical narcissist - would never accept this reality and so there has never been treatment for him. At 56 he's a mess and completely averse to getting help. I would suggest you reach out and try to find groups with moms with similar difficulties and children of a similar age. I am assuming you are in America - we are in Australia. Here there are support groups, but the real attention is on when the child gets older, for instance in their teens/early 20's where there are programs that guide them and provide environments for stability - work and even housing. I'm sorry i can't give you an answer having never been a parent, but I had to post to offer my sympathy, i just can't imagine how difficult this is for you. I should add that your first paragraph illustrates the hypocrisy and burden organised religion can be on humans - shameful.

• Posted

My son was MUTE until age 8. did not talk. By then he was diagnosed AUTISM, I was P****D OFF!!! MY Son is now 24 and getting married. I will tell you why. I gave up viewing my son as AUTISM,feeling sorry for myself that he ALSO had horrific tempers,meltdowns and had in home workers until age 17!!!! My privacy as a MOM was ruined. But I GOT OVER MYSELF and I focused on what HE CAN DO,and that is GRAPHIC ARTS. HE can only FREELANCE for Companies because he cant be around alot of people. I am ALSO a Believer in JESUS CHRIST, its NOT Religion,its a RELATIONSHIP, when you mention RELIGION, you dont know Christ. I had 4 MISCARRIAGES!!! God finally gave me my son. There is a Living God. If you want my suggestions, grow up. To raise a special needs child,you CANNOT do it unless you GROW UP, put that child over EVERYTHING. And also call Mental Health hotline and get in home care for your child. I am 50 years old and I walked that life for 24 years.

• Posted

Rachel - lecturing someone and shouting is not how to communicate. A fifty year old should know better.

• Posted

agreed

ur post gets no sympathy about how u turned out coz if u put down others then thats a path u say u got over isnt a path people should chose. uplift , help or dont answer

this mum is reaching out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.