Am I a codiene Addict?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I am looking for some advice really. Firstly, I get ill a lot. I'm a 35 year old male, professional and work hard. About 7 years ago, my girlfriend (now wife) gave me some cocodamol (30/500s). Whenever I was ill or needed to sleep I would nibble a 1/4 of a tablet. Over the years since, I have began taking them more and more often. When ill at work I would take one - maybe once a fortnight. This led to two when I was ill.

When going to the doctor for back pain about 18 months ago, he gave me a 100 box to save on prescription charges. I got a box every 3 months or so before asking the doctor for pure codeine - I said it was because i wanted the option to 'top-up' if standard pain relief didn't work, however, I just didn't want the paracetamol. I then started to take them at the weekend - something to look forward to on a Friday. Before I knew it, I was taking 180mg a day 3/4 days a week (I needed a couple of days off so that I could have a poo). About 6 weeks ago I realised I had a problem - had two weeks off and thought 'I can quit when I like' - may as well get back on them. I'm now completely out of codeine but have started asking people at work casually. Found one random 30mg on Saturday and took it straight away. Not sure if I'm in withdrawal or not, but it's not overpowering - I just want one if that makes sense. If I continue, will it get worse? Every time anyone in my family gets given codeine I always end up finishing them off. I speak with people at work and loads of people seem to be on either codeine or tramadol and say 'it doesn't affect me' - I can't see how it doesn't though. By the way, I've never taken more than I should (60mg) and never taken a dose early (less than four hours in between doses). Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😃 xxx

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Goods news that you are not taking more than you should be. However yes this will get worse you will become more and more addicted. I know its strange but cocodamol does the opposite to me, and keeps me wide awake. When i started to realise this I was taking them like sweets and when I wasnt even in pain. I Started to get moody without them. Long story short I Ended up in hospital for something unrelated and they was not giving me cocodamol and i was too poorly to give a crap. Luckily now im no longer addicted to them . When i was - i didnt believe i was. Only see that in retrospect. Cut dose down slowly, while you still can as you said you dont NEED them just want them. WILLPOWER MIND OVER MATTER. Do it while you still can and have a head start!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.