Am I actually real

Posted , 4 users are following.

For as long as I can remember I've always had a feeling that I wasn't actually alive, or even real. My oldest brother died at childbirth, and so I'm the youngest of three kids, but for the past few weeks I've been wondering if I'm actually the one who died, and not my brother, and instead I've tricked myself into believing that I'm myself and not him, and if I died no one would remember me, but instead remember him because I'm actually him. I don't know what is right anymore. Am I actually me, or am I someone else, believing that I'm me?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

So if your doing all the things living humans do like eating and sleeping then you are alive and definitely a conscious being, but just say for instance your not actually alive then great because it means you are in the after life and enjoying being "alive" any way.

Believe me we all go through strange phases in our lives one of them being a feeling of not being real and I put mine down to being young and suffering with a form of anxiety, I used to have a feeling of unreality but it more or less went as I matured.

Except it for being just a strange episode in your life, I had twins and sadly one didn't make it and my surviving son says sometimes he feels another life force that's his way of describing it.

Life is extremely short so enjoy it while. You can

• Posted

Hi this sounds like depersonalisation disorder to me. There is lots of info on the net so have a look around. The associated disorders are derealisation, and dissociative disorder, so have a look at these too.

Counselling can usually help to deal with these. Also it's a good idea to see your doctor too. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.