Am i alcoholic

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im 24 years old. I have been drinking since. From the ages of 16 to 21 i would never even consider i was alcoholic. I drank to get buzzed but never had memory loss or was sloppy. The last two years my drinking has changed. I drink on my own once week. I try to have only a bottle of wine but usually end up going to the offlicence. I pee the bed most nights out. I also tend to lie about my drinking and have been secretive. I have depressed for a few years which i think triggered my drinking. I have alot of family members who are alcoholic. Btw i drink 2 to 3 times a week.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren

If you feel like it's a problem then you need to address it.  Try quitting drinking for a few weeks to see how you get on if you can't then you'll know.

It's common for most alcoholics to suffer from anxiety or depression hence the need for that lift to get you up and going so maybe discuss with a doctor instead of self medicating with drink.

Speaking from experience, alcoholism will creep up on you over a period of years and then you look  a back and see where you've went wrong but it may be to late. 

Luckily enough I quit aged 29 when I was drinking  lite of whiskey a day and have been able to turn life around! After uni my partying just didn't stop it got worse and spiralled out of control.

I've been where you are when I was your age, nip it in the bud for a while and take control of your life. 

• Posted

Just a word of warning. If you try to suddenly stop drinking, as suggested above, without medication, you may find you have withdrawal symptoms. To stop and go cold turkey can be dangerous.

Feeling anxious, insomnia and nausea are common. However should you start to see or hear things, and suffer DTs then you should seek urgent medical help. Not wishing to scare you, but it can be fatal.

• Posted

I find it problem because i dont want to stay at others houses incase i wet myself. I have tried setting alarms but alcohol puts me in a deep sleep. The drinking on my own i think is a bit sad. I have quit for a few weeks a few months back i found it easy enough to do just reducing alcohol intake is hard. Last night i bought a bottle of peach schnapps about 12 13 units drank over 4 hours woke up and was fine to go to work. Good for you quitting it must have been hard. Ok thanks for the advice regarding quitting when i have give up drink it doesnt really affect me physically. I think my dependence is purely a physical thing. Is there such a thing as an alcoholic that remains as an alcoholic binge drinker but not daily
    • Posted

My dependence is purely mental.
  • Posted

I know i want someone to say im a problem drinker instead of an alcoholic
    • Posted

Alcohol dependency is a spectrum ranging from mild to moderate to severe and everything in between, including binge drinkers.

If you are on that spectrum somewhere, which is sounds like you probably are based on the things that happen when you drink that you don't want to happen, then it would be right for you to take steps to change that.  Not all drinkers with dependency have to stop drinking completely.  It all depends on where you are on the spectrum - if you are not too far along, then it is perfectly possible (with the right help) that you can learn to manage your drinking.  BUT, if you continue on as you are, then you will move along the spectrum, potentially damaging your health.

Your brain has learned that when you drink alcohol, it gives a chemical reaction that is rewarding to it.  Each time you drink, that message gets reinforced until your brain comes to expect it.  As a result, there has been a pathway formed that is, in effect, stronger than all of the others and this is why you find it hard to stay stopped.

There is also thoughts that complex condition might also be partly hereditary.

I'd suggest that you look up The Sinclair Method, which is a medical treatment that weakens and eventually breaks down that pathway in your brain that has gotten so strong.  Many on here are using it successfully, or have used it successfully, so search this forum for The Sinclair Method.

In addition, google the website C3 Foundation Europe, then on the home page, click 'From The Trustees' and you will find my story of using this treatment under Joanna's Journey.

Do remember that there are many ways to tackle the situation, but the main thing right now is that you do some research about what change you can make that might work best for you.

• Posted

Excellent reply as usual Joanna and saved me from posting!

Lauren, Joanna’s advice is spot on. I’ve not used or tried TSM, but many people on this forum have, and have had great results and seen their alcohol intake reduced dramatically.

The word “alcoholic” is slowly being replaced by the term alcohol user disorder”  “AUD”. Joanna has explained about this spectrum.

• Posted

thank you all from your advice.i will look up the sinclair method. i know i need to change but i dont know enough yet so research will definitely help me. I feel happy that i have reached out thank you so much
  • Posted

Dear All,

I have been feeling good & healthy since leaving alcohol since 2 months.

Tried some therapies like yoga, sports & meds. Now everythings seems fine.

Morgan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.