Am I allergic to alcohol or alcohol intolerant?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I’m a young woman who has some health issues (asthma, respiratory/sinus-related issues mostly) but I never had any reaction to alcohol before 4 or 5 months ago. It doesn’t happen every time I drink, but there is at least a 50/50 chance that even with half a shot (or drink) I will quickly develop a flushed face. This can happen with every type of alcohol (tequila, vodka, champagne, beer, etc.). Sometimes it’s just a splotchy red chin/lower face; sometimes it’s my forehead, or nearly my whole face as well as my upper chest. The weird thing is that it’s very splotchy and random, not uniform—it looks almost like someone splattered red paint all over my face with a few large brush strokes thrown in here and there. Other than sometimes feeling hot or a slight tingle on my tongue (which could just be the strength of the liquor), I have no other consistent symptoms. But at times the rash looks HORRIBLE—very bright red; definitely could not go out and drink socially like that. Anyone know what might be causing this and if it’s safe to continue drinking?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm sensitive to red wine. I would get an instant headache and sometimes the flushed face. Then a few years ago I started taking claritin daily and the issue went away.

• Posted

Hello,

Are you taking some kind of medication, vitamins or supplements?

It could be a reaction between these and the alcohol

• Posted

Hiya,

Yes, quite a large number of them, actually--I have wondered this myself, but since I take so many on a daily basis (including some that I can't stop taking, like gene modulators), I don't know which it would be. Do you have any suggestions as to how to find that out?

Thank you for your response!!

• Posted

No problem. Happy holidays to you.

Well, you can take each and do a little research, usually they come with a leaflet that has a PRECAUTION section. Give that a read.

And if you do not mind me asking, why take all these vitamins?

• Posted

well...we all have our issues honestly 😃

Just be strong, maintain your diet, drink lots of water.

Ever heard of astragalus?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.