Am I alone??? Globus and acid sensation.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering from globus for quite some time now.  I finally went not the doctor, with symptoms of glous and acid in the throat and mouth, but not reflux, or heartburn.  The doctor diagnosed me as simply having globus.  he also said that globus, itself, can manifest itself in feelings of acid, when in fact this is normal.  SO it's a false acid sensation, caused by globus.  Also, it comes and goes, quite randomly.  It seems worse in the afternoon.  Has anyone else out there had a similar experience, with the globus and acid feeling?  I have taken all the PPIs and they do nothing, which was part of my daignosis as well.  ANY input is welcome!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey toronto888,

No, unfortunately (fortunately?) you are not alone! Ive suffered with so called "globus" for 6 years now. I have had it investigated numerous times (i.e. MRIs, CTs, Barium Swallows, PPI med trials, respiratory checks...) all leading to a big fat ZERO! No clear explanation on how or why I have it or how it can be treated. I recall my issue started after I drank a take away coffee and thought I swallowed something that didnt go down and kind of lodged in my throat, although tests show no evidence of a foreign body. Can you recall an incident or approximate time your issue started and what you think may have caused it? I too have been spun the yarn on how it could be acid related ( have a gastro appointment booked in the next couple of weeks). Although I dont have the classic acid burn feeling, I do feel like food and drink comes up...even a good half hour after consumption. Again though - hard to tell if its this bleeding lump sensation or ACTUAL food come up. Please let me know if you come across any leads or solutions...or even just temporary relief techniques. I have unfortunately found none. Today has been the worst day i have suffered with globus. Do you also have pain radiating from the area where you feel the lump, that radiates into your chest and back?

Wishing us both relief and recovery. God bless.

• Posted

After all you've had to go through you're having a gastro test?  Do you know what it will entail?  I do not know when mine started, but it seemed to be gradual.  At first it was nausea, and it gradually changed into what it is now.  I don't have food come up, but it feels like acid in the throat, like a residual feeling, not ever like I can cough up and spit out acid.  Very strange.  So I'm never sure if it's just a sensation as a side effect of the globus, as the doctor seems to think, or if I have a real acid problem.  I do not get the pain you are describing.  I wonder if that is stree or related to something muscular, which could also be stress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.