Am i anaemic ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been feeling like crap for over a week now, this flares up every month of so then goes away for a while

Foggy head

Palpitations all the time(these get worse when I lift something or even stand up )

Breathlessness

Very tired

Insomnia

Always yawning

Feel cold

Dizziness on rising

Ringing in ears

I’m 51 years old male 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, do you know your hemogobin level and ferritin level?, hemogobin should be between about 13 to 17 and ferritin 20 to 150 these very different countries or labs, a good iron supplement that worked for me is bisglycinate 20mg capsules, I took 2 per day 1 morning 1 at night, opened the capsules up into about 200 mils of water with effervescent vitamin C tablet in and stir well, vitamin C helps absorb the iron much better, I got no digestive issue's with bisglycinate iron, as I say you really need to know your Iron levels.

• Posted

No one on here Can tell you definitely whether you are anaemia. You need to see your doctor and have a blood test done. The symptoms suggest you May have anaemia but there are other conditions with similar symptoms. GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!
  • Posted

Does Anemia always show up on blood tests? As I’ve felt like this on and off for months and had a few blood tests in that time with no anemia confirmed 
    • Posted

Hi, if your ferritin level store is below normal you probably should be treated for Iron deficiency, but you can have anaemia without iron deficiency, it's a sort of complicated thing, you can have a good iron store and low hemogobin level.

• Posted

martin61834,

I have to agree about getting a check by the Doctor before starting on iron.

When it's needed, iron is helpful.  And martin31040's Bisglycinate does sound as if it is an effective, but gentler option.  I've noted that down, in case I should ever need it.

BUT ........ when it's not required, taking iron is the wrong thing to do.

Ask the Doctor to check you out for some kind of ear infection.  Quite a few of your symptoms could indicate something in that line.

And when the Doc reads all the symptoms you listed, they may think it's something else as well.

Flares up every month ?  Is there any event in your life that corresponds with the flare up ?  Food ?

Doesn't correspond with the full moon by any chance ?  And that's not meant as a joke !!!

But definitely recommend getting it checked out.

• Posted

If it is anaemia it always shows up on blood tests - it is the only way it can be diagnosed. However different labs and countries have different cut off levels so you probably need to check th numbers. Am I right in presuming that you have seen your doctor? What is his diagnosis if not anaemia.I would agree with All4health that some kind of ear infection is a possibility
  • Posted

Hi, I would go get your CBC and ferritin checked. I have normal low iron but my ferritin is a 4!  I would have never known that had I not checked. I’ve had all your symptoms and more. Taking iron daily is starting to help ease some of my issues. 
  • Posted

Not being funny but what’s full moon got to do with it?
  • Posted

Probably nothing at all !  But you mentioned that it was almost a monthly occurrence, so if you'd said there was any link, I'd have been theorizing in a different direction, that's all.

Are you feeling better at all ?  Did you get any luck with finding the source of the problem ?

• Posted

Why do you suspect anameia and not anything else?? 

Those are all very much anameia symptoms tho. I am anaemic and I experience those very often. 

You should go get a blood panel done, making sure they check your hemoglobin, ferritin(stored iron, you can have a normal hemoglobin with almost no stored iron like I did that could cause you those symptoms) and b12 levels. A good hemoglobin is above 13 for men, and a good ferritin number is above 50. I would opt

For an infusion if needed as I don’t think oral iron does much. God bless and good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.