Am i Anemic

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

Just after some advice I am always constantly feeling tired. I will get home from work sit down and by around 9pm I am falling asleep, all day I yawn and generally feel like I lack energy, if i do any form of exercise I get heart palpitations and it really puts me off. Lately I have noticed an increase in headaches and dizziness too. Could I be anemic?

I am thinking about going to see my doctor for a blood test.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Sarah

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi mate,

Yes it could be anaemia. In-fact, anaemia starts out as a subtle feeling of constant tiredness. As it progresses, you can’t concentrate, you feel dizzy and your head aches. Advanced anaemia causes heart palpitations, cold feet and hands, shortness of breath and chest pain.

The solution, in many cases, is to consume more iron-rich foods. Consult your GP at earliest to decide right course of action depending on type of anaemia.

Luis

• Posted

Yes it does sound as though you are anaemic. I have had to watch my iron levels for years. I take a vitamin + iron tablet every day and that usually suffices. Also the odd half pint of Guinness helps. I became a vegetarian 10 years ago which unfortunately means I cannot miss a tablet. Otherwise I become slightly depressed too.  With iron my glass is always half full.

It does sound as though you have a condition called SVT Supraventricular Tachycadia. Palpitations are not normal. SVT can also have symptoms of fatigue and dizziness. It essence it is an extra pace maker in your heart, which can set up its own rythmn  If your heart rate suddenly shoots up with the slightest exertion and then reduces instantly - that's SVT. You need to see your doctor as it can be treated. Also it does get worse with age. Before my treatment I started to get palpitations that suddenly went from 5 mins in duration to 2 hours.  

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Yes you could be but it could be anything with those symptoms so yes I would go to the doctors and get a Complete Blood Count, which will check everything including anemia.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.