Am I B12 deficient ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi 

I went to the doctors because of constant pins and needles and extreme tiredness ,my blood results showed that my red blood cells where too large ! So more bloods have shown my B12 is low at bottom of the range (190), I'm now awaiting blood results from intrinsic factor but from reading I know this isn't always reliable ,my gp said come back in a month but I feel awful,

Any advise appreciated 

thank you

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you Clive I was shocked when I got the copy and couldn't believe I'd been told it was low but ok !! In future I will always check results myself 

• Posted

Thats the problem with doctors - when i spoke to private dietitian - he said all my symptoms were b12 related- i suffered terrible headaches too. When i went to my gp and said my pain in fingers and toes was so bad i needed 4 ibuprofens to settle it before i could fall asleep - she gave me a lecture on overdosing ibuprofen - i was like- you are missing the point- something is wrong- she just told me she never heard of it. Honestly i walked out and cried cause she made me feel like im making it up. Thats why im saying - dont give up keep digging - ask them to repeat b12. It has changed my life. Holland and Barret do B12 spray which is meant to be better than tablets - maybe try to supplement first - you dont know if problem is with absorption in which case you may get better with tablets or spray?

I have also went to a private doctor (im polish and go back home at least twice a year - its very cheap and easy over there to go private) who prescribed me injections which i do myself- ofcourse its not something i will advise you to do - but my private doctor keeps an eye on my levels and also told me that european guideline for treatment is an injection once a month - in UK once every 12 weeks which sometimes just isnt enough. 

Keep going back and dont give up x

• Posted

Thank you I find it shocking that the doctor says the symptoms aren't connected when it was so simple for me to find out that they are !!! Why wouldn't doctors know this 

many thanks

• Posted

Apparantly (Dr) Jeffrey J Stuart co-author of the book "Could it be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses" [/b]said that during all his years of training he spent only one half an afternoon session on Vitamin deficiency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.