Am I back in Afib?!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Sadly I think I'm back in afib after two months from having my cardioversion. I had some alcohol on Friday night along with some Chinese. I woke up Saturday morning and I felt weird. Almost like heart burn. Anyways for the past few days now my heart feels like it's beating differently again in my chest. I've checked my pulse it's around 60-70 a minute. My pulse doesn't feel like it's beating differently but it's my chest that does. I was only discharged last week. Go figure I guess.. Does this sound like af? I did chest at the gym on Monday if that makes a difference? I'm only 23, no family history. No other problems with heart or anything else other than having asthma.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

A normal heart rate is 80 beats per minute so no i don't think k you have afib you main have strained a muscle at the gym i had a full ablation after 3 months i came of my beta blockers but had bad episodes i mean like my heart was going 160 170 beats per minute it did the work i have been on beta blockers since now I'm 80 to 90 beats per minute been to hospital and was told I'm back in synus phythem hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Kaz, hope you're OK, i'm sure someone will be on here soon who knows more about Afib than me. Can you get in to see your Doc to have it confirmed if you're back in Afib? Have you got friends/family around for reassurance? Hope you're OK.

• Posted

Hi Kaz. AF can be fast or slow. It is an irregular heart rate because of extra beats- all depends what your normal heart rate is. Sometimes when lm in Af my HR is 70 and sometimes its 140. The msg in food sets me off and most chinese food has it. More than one glass of wine triggers me as well. Its all trial and error as everyone is different. Cardioversion is only a temporary fix. Hope you go back to normal soon.
    • Posted

Question to you Robyn - what wine was it, white or red.  That might make a difference.

Frank

• Posted

Hi Kaz,

?Probably not, the only way to tell absolutely is to have an ECG. I agree with robyn fromOz. also, I rather suspect you maybe having a form of palpitations brought on by some sort of sensitivity in the vagal nerve to an ingredient in the chinese food and the wine - an interaction between food and wine which has inflamed the vagal nerve which in turn has brought about palpitations.

?Just a guess, based on my own experience with food and AF - I'm not medically qualified. suggest you 'Google' vagal nerve/vagus nerve for more info.

Cardioversion is not a fix/cure.

John

• Posted

I find the MSG they put in Chinese food does this to me. I get a racing heart after eating it. Worth asking your Chinese f they use it in their food.
    • Posted

Msg (food additives 635-645) are in lots of different foods- used to enhance the flavour. I react to food preservatives 200- 230 which are in most drinks including alcohol. Such a pain, especially when eating out!!
  • Posted

Hi all,

I went to A&E to be on the safe side. Resting heart rate was 62 they did an ECG which showed p waves and a normal sinus rhythm. I guess this is somewhat good news as there are no signs of atrial fibrillation other than feeling my own heart beat. I guess I will have to schedule a 24 hour ECG just to make sure.

Thanks for all the responses.

• Posted

That's good news then Kaz! Maybe just palpitations this time then. There always seems to be a link between my palps and my chronic bloating/burping/heartburn/acid reflux, possibly the vagal nerve link as mentioned by John?

• Posted

I was just about to have my cardioversion when the nurse spotted I was already in sinus rhythm​. I was discharged with a revised drug prescription.

​Fortunately I had already swatted up on ecg interpretation and found that a rsasonably priced monitor could produce ecg traces from which even the doctor in the cardiac unit recognised that I was in sinus rhythm.

​This however is still no guarantee that you will not get funny chest feelings whillst being in sinus. Here is my example ecg from my own monitor showing a premature beat whilst in sinus - you should be able to spot the p-wave before every qrs.

• Posted

Personally, i have found that alcohol does in my case trigger an a-fib attack. I have given up alcohol completely and have noticed that since giving up coffee and all alcohol that my a-fib attacks are minimal.

As an octogenerian i work out in classes five times a week without triggering any a-fib attacks .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.