Am I being unreasonable

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 14 year old daughter has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It is classed as a serious chronic illness and has to be treated with medication, daily, for life. She is very positive and cheerful and I am very proud of her.

My issue is with school. Most of her teachers have no idea of how serious this condition can be, and sadly, my daughter has got used to the rolling of eyes when she complains of feeling cold, tired, unable to concentrate, feels hyper, etc etc, the symptoms are endless.

She has to take her medication when she wakes up on an empty stomach, and should eat between 30 - 60 minutes later, which often means that she has to eat in form time.

She has been told today, that she will have to leave the form room to eat alone, as her peers would wonder why they can't eat too!!!!!

Is it just me, or should teenagers see that rules can be broken when necessary, and that they can learn to understand that although someone can look OK, they are suffering on a daily basis.

I would love to know what you think,

Thank you for reading

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wimms,

Yes unfortunately some folk dont understand about this vile condition and the many symptoms we suffer from. I suppose as we look healthy its hard for them to understand but it gets very wearing having to explain every time. I hope your daughter school become more understanding.

• Posted

Seriously I cannot stand the school system or the teachers. All this praise for them and I've felt like they do more harm then good. Don't get me wrong put 3 kids through school with very little trouble and grades descent....so this is not a complaint of one of my kids being picked on.

My advice is give them to her at night and never ever (if not necessary) tell a teacher that your child is different.

Very good luck to you

• Posted

Seriously I cannot stand the school system or the teachers. All this praise for them and I've felt like they do more harm then good. Don't get me wrong put 3 kids through school with very little trouble and grades descent....so this is not a complaint of one of my kids being picked on.

My advice is give them to her at night and never ever (if not necessary) tell a teacher that your child is different.

Very good luck to you

• Posted

Very good luck to you

• Posted

sorry didn't mean for this to post so many times, i had a hard time getting it to go out....very sorry!

• Posted

As a retired teacher and having hypothyroidism for decades, I think leaving the classroom to eat is a reasonable accommodation. It is disruptive to the classroom for her to eat a snack at her desk given the age of the students. Also, food allergies of the other students have to be considered. Yes, they aren't eating the food but some students are sensitive to being even in a room with certain foods.

If it were my daughter, I would have her get up early enough in the morning to take her medicine and allow 60 minutes before eating. I think she should eat a healthy breakfast before school. Her leaving the classroom is a distraction to her own education.

I sympathize with you about the emotions you feel with your young daughter being diagnosed with a lifelong condition. One of my own children has lifelong condition and I spent many years helping him finding a reasonable balance of accommodation for his condition.

• Posted

You are right in that hypothyroidism is a life long chronic condition and for some it can be dehabilitating but I would be wary of making your daughter aware of this.

A lot of people live completely symptom free lives once properly medicated, my dad for example has never had a symptom and he has a fairly severe hypothyroidism. I myself do suffer symptoms but its usually corrected with an adjustment to my medication.

The last thing you want to do is instill a 'woe is me' attitude in your daughter. The truth is that in the real world no one accepts hypothyroidism as an excuse for anything and the sooner she learns that the better.

I would give the medication at night and let her eat a normal breakfast at home and try to not pander to her symptoms so much. If you make a big deal of this condition then so will she.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.