Am I crazy for going back to work so soon

Posted , 9 users are following.

So last Thursday i missed a step and broke my tib and fib went to the ER got pain meds and the next day went to the surgeons office. They scheduled surgery for tomorrow which I'm nervous about. Anyway i haven't been in crazy pain on anything been in bed all week with it up and i take a percoet at night but other then that haven't needed to take anything and have had really minor pain. Assuming everything is good with surgery the current plan is to go back to work next Tuesday so that's 12 days post accident and 5 s

days post surgery. Am i crazy i work at a desk job on the ground level and don't have to move around to much during the day. I support my family as my wife stays home to take care of our daughter so it's hard for me to be out of work for a long period. The doctor seemed ok with it just asking me if i was sure i wanted to go back so soon but didn't fight me on it after i said i would be ok to do it. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I’d say do what the doctor says and listen to your body. Don’t overdo it. I was non weight bearing for 3 months which was way too long.  To make it easier to get around I used a scooter.  I couldn’t drive since it was my right ankle.  

Good luck - it’ll be fine! 

• Posted

Surgery and healing takes a lot out of you. Be very careful you don't exacerbate your injury or over exhaust yourself. I would think you need at least 2 weeks to recover from surgery, but go with what you feel and what your doc approves. 

• Posted

You'll probably want to make provisions to work with your leg elevated and ice packs ready.  Is there anyway you could work from home for at a minimum of 2 weeks?  

• Posted

If you have a desk job just be careful arrange to keep it elevated as much as possible.. swelling is very painful and slows the healing process. Good luck!
  • Posted

DSF,

Resuming a full schedule 12 days after your injury (with surgery) sounds way too ambitious, but that is between you and your doctor. However, your doctor is not in your shoes so he has no skin in game. He naturally would put the ball in your court regarding return to work.

I read that you are the family breadwinner so you obviously are amped up to get back to work ASAP.

I suppose you could be an exception to most us in being physically vigorous enough to take on challenge. The potential downside is that your body is in full healing mode now and is drawing on your vital health reserves to try to get well. So it could be like burning a candle at both ends, and your recovery may be unnecessarily prolonged and uncomfortable.

Since you have a desk job, would your boss let you work from home while recovering (telecommuting)? Alternatively, you could ask for health-related leave of absence (paid) like so many of us do. That's probably the best thing to do in short term.

You are however a good sport in wanting to fast-track your return to working. Not sure it's wise, though.

• Posted

I think you should consider this.  You know your body and limits better than anyone , however studies show .... this is a huge trauma to your mobility .

It is exhausting for me to even shower, make my bed , and use restroom daily.

More power to you.

I am on day 11 of my accident and 8 for my surgery.

Be careful !!

You're job will be there when you heal!

I respect a man's decision to provide for his family but remember .... YOU matter too.

Happy healing to you !

• Posted

I think I replied to the wrong post 

This was meant for 

dSF767

Ooops. I don't have this site figured out 

how do i forward to him ?

• Posted

I fell in June and had a trimalleor fracture had surgery.... it’s not bad at all 

But the key to healing is staying off it and nwb as long as the doctor tells you to or you will not heal properly.

If you can do it more power to you,but you want to heal right from the day after surgery and not suffer long term

I am 15 post surgery and walking normally. Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.