am i depressed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i went to the doctors and explained i was feeling down, she said visit this website to see if i feel i have things in common with people who are depressed. i am up and down, my moods can just change if something small annoys me, i sleep too much, when i get home from work i just fall asleep which means sometimes i sleep for 10 hours. i also eat too much, sugar in particular. im not over weight but i feel like i will be if i keep eating, i feel like when i eat it fills a gap, i have a lot of stress in my family, my mum has a mental illness but she always has so im used to it, my brother has a drug problem and always gets beat up so im constantly worrying about him, he had 3 strokes when he was 17 and hes 24 now, hes not been the same since.. he has no organisation with money and is forever coming to me and my mum for money for electric or food when really i know its for weed. he has been been up numerous of times but not just a punch, a really bad kick in. it makes me shake in anger and worry when i think about what they do to him. i live in an apartment with my partner, we get on, we both work full time, we enjoy holidays together and there is no reason i should be upset with my own life but it seems other things are getting to me, however i cant blame everything on my brother. at work people say to me.. whats up you look sad.. when at the time i feel fine, its like im depressed but i dont realise? my partner is good to me and we rarely argue but recently i dont want sex with him and i snap at him. i just feel like im not myself, there is something hanging over me making me sad/unhappy.. but its like ive learned to mask it and pretend to everyone that im okay, even though there is nothing to pretend about because i think im okay?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

bless you hun! must be hard worrying about your brother and also mother, they are making choices u cant change that i know its easier said that done but u have to think about your family and make rules concerning your family for all your sakes! and have some you time even if just a hot bath with oils and candles! relaxing music and time to think about you and your life! goodluck
    • Posted

aww thanks julie! yeah i know what you mean, its hard when you care so much! just trying to work out if im depressed, yes candles and bath oil sounds lush!! smile
    • Posted

i know how hard it is..i did it made me depressed! i tried to help people. they are the only people who can do that, im sorry about your mother mine is the same its hard, but we cant control that. have time out for you even if going for a walk! i really know how you feel..chin up!!
    • Posted

aww thanks julie. yeah its hard. its worse when they think they are okay, and they wont help themselves. i wish i wasnt as caring sometimes! people keep saying think about myself x
    • Posted

you cant change who u are! try and look at it in a drifferent way! it will make you poorly and thats what its done to you! you need to energies your self and think about you! find something you enjoy even if its reading a mag, its really important or you will end up in a deep depression..you sound mentaly tired probley why your sleeping all the time.. if this fails go and see the doctor tell him how your feeling ..have a nice evening..julie
  • Posted

I have only read your first sentence and am appalled. No GP should treat you like that. My immediate reaction is that you should change doctors now, straightaway.

Every GP has (had) a list of questions they can run through with a patient, the answers from which indicate whether the patient is depressed. The GP does not need to use every question; as soon as a given number of responses is reached the diagnosis is clear. Then the GP needs to explore more of the reasons behind the depression in order to choose one of the many anti-depressants available.

What you describe seems to me to be a cop out. This is to be deplored. There are many threads here where you may, or may not, find common cause BUT none of that amounts to a diagnosis neither does it provide any medical help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.