Am I depressed???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I’ve struggled with anxiety and depression for many years. I had 6 years success on Paxil and 6 years success on venlafaxine. 18 months ago I had a breakdown and been trying different medication and therapy but it just won’t shift. This has left me frustrated but now I am questioning if it is depression or I just have become lazy and need to push myself more! My symptoms are:

-feeling miserable constantly 

-no energy

-no motivation 

-no interest 

-isolating myself

-aches and pains in my back/neck and shoulders 

-tired and fatigued

-weight gain due to confirm testing at night

-always frowning and look miserable when I look in the mirror

-things seem to require a lot of effort to do even the simplest tasks 

-feeling flat and nothing 

-future seems bleak 

Does this sound like depression? I keep worrying and questioning if it is or not as this last episode has gone on so long! Im seeing pyschiatrist on Monday. I can’t work because of all the above and spend a lot of time in bed. I do push myself to do something things but it doesn’t change how I feel. 

Thankyou,

Vicki 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello Vicky (from a fellow sufferer). A few things to try:

1 - try your best to keep your home tidy each day. If you don't feel like doing it then just do a bit like the washing and the dishes - doing only a little is so much better than nothing. The same also for food shopping, focus on these basics if nothing else.

2 - allow your endurance to pain increase. As I too suffer depression, I need a higher than average level than most to compensate for an otherwise natural weakness. If you at level 2 say from 10, aim to move to 3.

3 - think smaller, don'the expect too much from life and work on being content with very little

4 - put some effort in trying to be interested in things. Do you watch the news? If not interested then at least try to be - watch it 15m each day

5 - what about reading a book. Try that for 15 mins per day

6 - what about friends, women like to chat a lot and are good communicators Your doctor could point you in the direction of groups of people in a similar situation

7 - make a habit of a 20 minute walk daily, what about your local town

Good luck

Richard

• Posted

Yes it does Vicki. I have many of the same symptoms..except for frowning when I look in the mirror. I just feel miserable most of the time. While I work a temporary job, I am trying to get hired with no success...so yeah, my future seems bleak also.

If I can go down the list, I really don't feel miserable, just down. Most of the time I have no energy, no motivation, no interest, and I isolate myself a lot. Hate going to the grocery store or anyplace where it's a bit crowded also. I'm always feeling tired and fatigued, I've gained weight..and EVERYTHING seems to require soo much effort..even the simplest of things.

I've was diagnosed with depression and anxiety several years ago and take meds for it. For the most part they've been working, yet when I saw my psychiatrist today, she put me on an additional med that's supposed to assist my Venlaxifin with my depression as I've been feeling like the current medications I've been taking for my depression just haven't been doing the trick.

I also understand your inability to work as I've lost many days lately due to my depression and anxiety. When my anxiety gets out of control, I get nasty migraines. My depression has also been out of control lately too and all I want to do is spend a lot of time in bed. While I push myself to do things, like you, it still doesn't change the way I feel for the most part.

While I took the medication my psychiatrist recommended, she told me that I may experience some nausea for the first few days. This too happened and I ended up leaving work early. I sure hope these additional meds help!!

So glad that you've decided to seek help from a psychiatrist. They can help immensely and give you the medication you need to fight your depression and anxiety, along with helping you to open up about the outside things that may be contributing to your depression and anxiety.

I wish you well and God Bless. Please keep us posted!!

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply, I’m glad I’m not alone feeling like this. I’m sorry your going through it to. May I ask what dose of venlafaxine are you on and what is the additional med called she gave you? I see my pysch on Monday and trying to read up on meds/options I may have. 
    • Posted

Remember just to take one day at a time and look to take just small steps, but in the right direction

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.