Am I doing too much?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I am 2 weeks post TKR and have managed some walks outside (2 sticks) up to about 1.5 miles. It feels ok while I'm walking but I get quite a bit of pain at night. I find I can also do stairs using both legs to lead rather than one as told by hospital.  I haven't picked up with local physios yet so still working on discharge Physio. Instructions. But no one told me how much walking was ok at what stage. Reading some of your comments, I feel like I might be doing too much too soon.? Am I right? Paula

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yep, you're doing too much. If it causes more pain, don't do it. We are all different in what we can do after tkr, but slow down a little, why cause more pain. You are doing great by the sound of it, give your knee a chance to heal.

• Posted

I have to say yes. Going for 1.5 miles is way too much at 2 weeks. Your knee has been cut up, tramatic, and needs to be completely renew the nerves, ligaments , and muscles. It's still swollen and aching. Do the exercises your physio gives you. Walk around in and outside of your home is plenty. Continue to elevate and ice your knee as many as you want. Since you're in alot of pain now, back off. Give yourself a rest for a day .

• Posted

I have to say yes. Going for 1.5 miles is way too much at 2 weeks. Your knee has been cut up, tramatic, and needs to be completely renew the nerves, ligaments , and muscles. It's still swollen and aching. Do the exercises your physio gives you. Walk around in and outside of your home is plenty. Continue to elevate and ice your knee as many as you want. Since you're in alot of pain now, back off. Give yourself a rest for a day .

• Posted

Too much! Wow, good you have the energy though!

At 3 weeks post op I started doing a short ten minute walk once a day, and was exhausted after that! I was using two crutches all the time. At six weeks for every hour I was active, i.e. doing exercises or self care, I needed at least two hours of rest. I made a journey to London which involved ten minutes walk 45 mins sitting on train, ten minutes walk, one hour sitting, ten mins walk, 45 minutes sitting on train...when it got to the final ten minutes I stood at the top of the road I needed to walk down and prayed, because I seriously did not think I could make it home!

Everyone is different, but I would save your energy a bit more and focus on range of motion, Good healing to you

• Posted

Sounds like too much too soon.  Everyone's different but the key is listening to your knee.  Ignore it and you end up with swelling and pain.  I was 5 weeks post op and did 8,200+ steps one day.  Paid for it with a balloon knee and lots of pain for 48-72 hours.

Get a pedometer (fitt bit, smart watch, etc.).  Walk and track your steps.  Pain and swelling?  Note the number of steps and back off.  Keep doing that until you have a night with no pain.  That's your current limit.  Now increase gradually.  Pain again?  Back off...etc.  Your knee is your guide.  Push it and pay the price.  You need a pedometer to track your steps every day.

PS: At 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ steps (5 miles) with no pain or swelling.  It's a very slow and gradual process.

• Posted

Definately you are doing too much.  If you are not careful you will put yourself backwards  and then takes ages to move forward.  
  • Posted

You need advice from physio they should have given you this before you were discharged.

My guess is that you are probably doing too much at this stage.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.