Am I entitled to a free sight test and optical voucher

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI

I was recently asked to fill in an ESA3 form by the DWP going back to 2013 to see if i was entitled to additional payments, I filled this in and to my supprise I was not getting the correct amount and received some backdated benefit and my payments increased

My question is I am due to have an eye test do i qualify to have this free and help towards replacement glasses? I currently get ESA and am in support group and PIP

Thank you for your help

MIKE

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

The ESA3 form is to assess you for the Income Related top up on your ESA. As you successfully claimed this then yes, you're entitled to free NHS treatment. Just tell then you're claiming Income Related ESA or tick the box.

• Posted

thank you for your help Denise, as I said I did not even think I would get it i just filled iy in because they asked me too, as I understand from Google iI will continue to get it for as long as i remain in the support group of ESA is this correct or have I read it wrong?

I was all set to fill in an HC1 form for help with this but as you say I qualify for NHS help now anyway there is no need for me to do this

thanks again

• Posted

You're welcome. Income Related top up will continue for as long as you're entitled to it but savings/capital, pensions and any future partners income will affect the amount you can claim.

Your Contributions part £111.65 will be paid regardless of any of the above, with the exception of private/ill health pensions that are more than £85 per week.

I'm assuming you were one of those that transferred from Incapacity benefit many years ago and were one of those that were under paid?

• Posted

HI

yes Denise that is correct I was transfered from IB in 2013 which is why im assuming that the DWP asked me to fill in the ESA3 form going right back to that year it took about 12 weeks but it all turned out well in the end as i got increase in forrnightly amount and backdated payments to 2013

I am pleased I do not have to fill in any forms for help with NHS costs and I can just go ahead and book my appointment knowing that I already qualify for help

• Posted

HI Denise

just to let you know i had my eye test at home and did what you said and showed them the letter i received from DWP and they advised as you said, that I could get test and indeed optical voucher on the NHS, I now just have to wait for my new glasses

thank you for your help

MIKE

• Posted

I get income related ESA and PIP and I have never been entitiled to free help with glasses etc.

• Posted

Are you sure you receive Income Related ESA and not just Contributions based? Google the free eye NHS website and it tells you on there that Income related ESA allows you to have free dental, prescriptions and eyes, with a voucher towards cost of glasses. I can't post links otherwise i happily post it.

I've been claiming ESA Income Related for 6 years and have my free eye tests every 2 years.

This was taken from the NHS website.

Find out if you're entitled to a free NHS sight test or an optical voucher to help reduce the cost of glasses or contact lenses.

If you're not eligible for NHS-funded sight tests or optical vouchers, you'll have to cover the costs yourself.

Free NHS eye tests

You're entitled to a free NHS sight test if you:

are under 16

are 16, 17 or 18 and in full-time education

are 60 or over

are registered as partially sighted or blind

have been diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma

are 40 or over and your mother, father, sibling or child has been diagnosed with glaucoma

have been advised by an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) that you’re at risk of glaucoma

are a prisoner on leave from prison

are eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher – your optician can advise you about your entitlement

You also qualify for a free NHS sight test if you:

get Income Support

get Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

get Income-based Employment and Support Allowance

get Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

get tax credits and meet the criteria

get Universal Credit and meet the criteria

have a low income and are named on a valid NHS HC2 certificate for full help with health costs

• Posted

Thanks for that.Yes I get free eye test but never any help towards my contact lenses or glasses. Yes I get income based ESA.

• Posted

You're welcome. You should definitely have help towards the cost as well. It will be a voucher up to a certain amount, anything over that then you pay the difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.