Am I entitled to push for a hysterectomy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 34 years old and have 2 children(have my tubes tied and done with having children). When i was 15 i was surgically diagnosed with endometriosis and have been through all the hormone injections, surgery and a laundry list of different birth control options. The last two - three years have been especially miserable. Last year I was diagnosed with what my doctor called "chocolate cysts", which he said was concerning as i have a history of cysts but not this kind. And most recently an ultrasound found two fibroids and a polyp. The doctor noted they were "suspect and ill-defined" on my report. I am unable to have intercourse with my husband unless it is very painful, extremely heavy painful periods, having urinary and bowel issues due to the swelling along with constant pain. I told my previous doctor that i was done hoping the hormones would work and asked for a hysterectomy which he said no to-he said i was too young and put me on another kind of hormones. I was referred to a new gynecologist that i will see this week as my old gyn unfortunately no longer takes my insurance. Am I out of line to push for a hysterectomy for a better quality of life? Or do i just let them keep pushing hormones on me which cleary hasnt worked the past 18 years?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caitlin38443,

I wouldn't say you're out of line at all, and I'm sorry that doctors have maybe made you feel that way. I'm only 32 and went through something similar - multiple surgeries and hormone treatments because doctors couldn't fathom me having a hysterectomy at such a young age. It was making my life miserable though, and I'm so thankful to have found a doctor who respected my decision to have a hysterectomy. For me, it was the hands down the best decision I ever made. I know how challenging it can be to feel confident in making that decision though when those with the expertise and knowledge sometimes tell you it's the wrong one. They're not the ones living with the pain though. I would go with what your gut is telling you (I wish I had trusted my gut sooner) and hope you reach the decision that is best for you.

• Posted

I think doctors sometimes use age the wrong way. Not everybody even wants to have kids. I wanted to keep my uterus so I had UFE. If I wind up having a hysterectomy I won’t regret ufe because I tried something to keep my uterus but if I have to give up my uterus I will. It’s your decision don’t let anybody talk you into something you don’t want to do because you have to live with the consequences. I hope your new doctor doctor is better.

kimjon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.