Am i expecting to much!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Its been 2 weeks on fluoxetine 20mg tired two others before this, first Citlopram then Mirtazapine cant see past my nose at the mo. Its been over a year now and losing all hope of getting any better. nothing i do or anything people say makes any difference, feel stuck to the sofa frightened, scared to death of living this hell of a life. hate myself for being like this. A friend even surgested that in ask my doc for a ms test as i discribed some of my symptoms losing my balance pins and neddles numbness in ny hands and feet,feet at night feel burning have to put them out of the bed. so so tried even to have a shower feels like ive run a marathion with no sleep.numbness in my bottom going down my leg. blurred vision,.even if i tell the doc he just says you have depression, do feel could it be something else making me feel this bad for so long now

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Your symptoms may well be side effects of the antidepressants or withdrawal effects if you have changed drugs lately. Can you recall having these symptoms before starting antidepressants? If you look up Mirtazapine side effects it can give you very much ms like sensations. 

If you are however worried about having something wrong with you other than depression, I'd suggest to check for Lyme's disease (from a tick bite or mosquito) as it's something that imitates ms and I know as I have it. Also on Mirtazapine and having not a good time. My neurologist told me that some antidepressants and also Lyme's are great ms imitators. I hope this help a little. Take care x

• Posted

hi yes before i had my brake down i keeped falling over quite abit i put it down as being tired then i went down big time. didnt get out of bed.that was a year ago, feel like im back to square one, yes had to tapper off  45mg mirtazapine then introduce fluoxetine just feel so low at the mo.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling dreadful.

Do you know what symptoms your GP is treating you for? Without knowing that it is difficult to know whether you are getting better ie does your GP think that you are getting better. What do your friends and relations think? It is useful to get the feedback from others. You may not think that you are getting better but others might see an improvement.

Nick

• Posted

I think my doctor feels the same as i do lost he just keeps saying im to young to be like this for so long making me feel its me making myself be like this. psy doc says i well get better. my family keep telling me to try harder. easer said than done when all you want to do is shut the curtains on this hell of a life. 
    • Posted

How old are you? Are you a student, working, looking after children. Many of us on this site and believe me it will get better.

If you are seeing a psy doc presumably he is saying what is wrong with you. If there was nothing wrong with you he wouldn't keep on seeing you.

If your GP (are you in the UK) is saying that you are too young to be like this - like what. I was unaware that eg depression or other disorders were age-related.

• Posted

Hi Michelle. I am sorry to hear that you feel overwhelmed. I have clinical depression and was diagnosed a number of years ago. I am prescribed Mirtazapine, Valium and sleeping tablets. I have been taking them for a long time now and I echo the very sensible comments on this board that different tablets affect people in different ways.

Taking that into account and the symptoms you are describing, perhaps you might want to consider just asking your GP for a blood test for anaemia. The reason I suggest this, is because currently I have some other health issues ongoing but have been told I am also suffering with chronic anaemia and the symptoms you describe very much reflect some of the things I am suffering with because of this. I do not want to alarm you because, as previously stated, it may be the meds and the way they affect you, but more people have anaemia than is often reported apparently and GP's often ignore such symptoms but numbness in the limbs, loss of balance, fatigue, pins and needles, blurred vision are all markers of a potiential anaemia issue and can be treated in most people with simple medical assistance. I just thought I would log in and write to you because it chimes with some of the things I have been experiencing and was concerned at how badly you currently feel. Hope this helps and very best wishes to you.   

• Posted

Michelle, my only advice would be to visit a teaching / research hospital, and write down all the symptoms before you go. It will give the doctors a challenge to find out what it is, and you may benefit in the process. I am in the US, and don't know what is available in the UK, but you are way past any help from a GP. They just don't see that type of problem often enough to keep up with what is causing your symptoms, and how to treat them. David
  • Posted

Oh please....DO NOT LET your doc tell you this is caused by depression. These are classic side effects and you need to get off the med. By all means get tested for MS. But these symptoms are NOT caused by depression. These sensations are classic symptoms of neuropathy. Google it. And also look up the side effects of this med.

Please keep us informed of how things go..

michele

• Posted

I would warn against telling what is wrong with people. We accuse the doctors of getting it wrong but I think that it is one thing asking a doctor for a second opinion but another giving our own "sure" opinion.

Nick

• Posted

hi michelle i too was on mertazipine then citalipram iv neva felt so ill on both these drugs its bin five wks of em im just startin to feel beta now dr told me how i felt wasnt withdrawal but i believe it was peple need to b aware the withdrawal effects these drugs have 
    • Posted

Hi Jeanette

You say that you had never felt so ill on the drugs - yet you speak of the withdrawal effects. If the withdrawal effects were less than those you felt when you were on the drug - which they presumably were, surely that was better than continuing on the drug - with its terrible effects.

I would have gone for the lesser effects of withdrawal to escape the terrible effects of being on the drug.

• Posted

Yes I hear ya. BS to that. That's exactly what it was and unless he has experienced it for himself how would he know? The Dr told me to come off Amlodipine and Simvastatin both and the withdrawl was a total nightmare. Your internal clockwork has got to completely reset back to the way it was before you took the med. Unfortunately I was left with neuropathy and damaged muscles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.