Am I expecting too much?

Posted , 4 users are following.

been for my pre op assessment today, with all the time I spent in the waiting room I was there nearly 3 hours. I still have not been given a date and I was in tears again whilst talking with the nurse, I am getting more anxious each time and stressed about the op. I'm not normally like this and am frustrated by the lack of information. I've learnt more from talking to people here than the professionals have told me. Told today I woul get a letter detailing what would happen, I can't ask questions then though. Was given a leaflet (2008) about anaesthetics, no discussion entered into. Because I explained when I got chance that I had never had an op before she offered to show me the day surgery ward. Not sure this was reassuring as it just felt cramped. I asked about privacy was told I coul talk to Dr in a separate room if I asked on the day. Am I expecting too much? I was also told I could not be a day case unless someone stayed with me for 24 hrs. This was not mentioned previously or I would have talked with family and friends in advance. They wanted a name of someone, yet I had told them before that I lived on my own. Do they not read the notes!? 

Sorry for the rant I just don't understand the lack of proper communication

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

No I was in a very similar situation, in fact the first appointment for me at the hospital was when they told me I needed an ovary removing. During the scan they said it was a 'small cyst' and my doctor referred me further. Until that point, I hadn't even realised I needed an op as no one had mentioned it or even specified it was that serious. I did the same as you burst into tears.

As it happened it was not a cyst, I later foud out it was a fibroid. I never had an opportunity to even meet the consultant properly until after my operation. 

I was very nervous too and I am so squeamish that I didn't really want to know more. I had keyhole after being admitted through A&E that was when they discovered that it was a fibroid and then I had to have treatment for 3 months before a second op.

I kept calling to get a cancellation, but that is hard. I think the nurses geuniely are trying but under constant pressure. Although I was in and out of hospital quite a bit, yes they do lose or not read notes. One day I managed to get an emergency scan because of problems with my kidneys, I had an emailing giving me a name and number to contact when calling and explaining they said they hadn't emailed, so I read the email through to them. When I arrived the same day, same appointment then first try to send me to early pregnancy and then foetal medicine. I cannot tell you how many times they did pregnancy tests on me. It is so frustrating and the waiting gives you more time to think.

It was 10 months from my first visit to the doctors to my second op, that won't happen for you as my situation was just unfortunate, however I think the timescale is a maximum of 16 weeks from your initial consultation to op.

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rightsandpledges/Waitingtimes/Pages/Guide%20to%20waiting%20times.aspx

Although what I had was sllightly different feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try and help. I had keyole and an abdominal myomectomy, so although not identical I can give you a few pointers or bits of advcie if useful x x

• Posted

In my job  we are constantly being reminded to consider "what is it like for a child here?"  why doesn't the hospital cnsider what is it like to be a patient?  Privacy is an issue, sharing information, not being afraid to anser questions if asked, to pick up on someones anxiety.  They are supposed to CARE!  I think part of it for me is that I want to be more in control and it is all in there hands.

The time scale has been good for me so far, it is the lack of clear information.   

I hope you are all sorted now and thanks for replying.

• Posted

I am afraid a lack of information and the NHS go hand in hand these days.

So far as the 24hrs and daycare is concerned that is not mentioned until the pre-op assesment and is not routinely said before.

I am unsure what the letter will say but if you have questions arising from it there will either be a number on it to ring, ring the pre-op clinic back or the consultants secretary.

• Posted

Thanks for calm approach Taz, i know your situation wasn't easy either, but how will it ever get better?

Thank God for forums like this one.

• Posted

Finally someone listened to me! The sister I saw yesterday, phoned me today and told me she had sorted some things out for me. I will be goin to the new ward at a different hospital, same consultant, I will have to stay over night, although this will be at Drs discretion,  which I didn't want but understand.  I should get a date within the next 2 weeks and she told me that she had explained to admissions that I need a fortnights notice to sort out my job.  She also offered to get me an appointment with the consultant if I wanted to discuss it with him. 

I feel more positive and grateful that she had listened and acted on it.

• Posted

Hi dizzylizzie, 

That's great news, really pleased for you. 

If you can find that one person who listens it makes a big difference. 

Keep us posted x x x

• Posted

I have had a letter saying date for op will be 17th dec. now I can work towards it
    • Posted

Good one. At least know where are now. Be done and dusted before you know it, then you can get on with a life that at times must feel like it is on hold.

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Thanks taz, I feel better this week, last week was a bad one. Hope to continue to move forward. A bit sorry to missing the last week of term with all lovely Christmas things, but I want it done and sorted. Here's to a better new year for everyone!
    • Posted

The question to ask though is, lovely though they are could I really have enjoyed them knowing this op awaited? Know what you mean though
  • Posted

I've just read your post and can't believe how close my experience is to yours.  I had my pre op yesterday and having been taken through for the usual tests 30 mins late I arrived with the nurse.  She said, hello, my name's .... have a seat.  I'm going to have to rush you through because I've booked you a lung function appointment in 20/25 mins.  Well, you can imagine how the rest of the appointment went.  This was the woman I had hoped would answer all my questions that had been buzzing round my head for weeks.  She fired information at me like it was going out of fashion, and I was in such a state that I could barely read the questions I had taken in with me let alone ask them.  She indicated with her hand 'up the corridor' to the ward I would be going to - had I seen the signs for it (well no, I wasn't looking for them).  She mentioned things I had never been told before, and I am only now thinking I should have triedharder to ask more questions but there just wasn't time - she kept looking at the clock.  The lung funtion unit was as dead as a dodo, so I'm sure I could have gone along there later.  So far I have seen two doctors/consultants I couldn't understand and a nurse who didn't care,  My op is this coming Friday 14 November.  I was also given a whole stash of leaflets to read.  Three of the people I have seen (not the nurse) have all looked at the information they had on me when I had my knee operations in 2005 and 2008 and thought I was under someone totally different.  The man in the lung function lab also thought this.  When I corrected him and told him who I was under, he asked me how to spell his name!

I have not had anything positive said to me, and whoever I have seen seem to treat me like I'm a nuisance to them.

Hospitals today  seem to be all about not getting sued.  Where has all the care for the patients who have been told there might be something sinister there but we don't know till we operate.

Sorry for the rant.  I hope you are getting more support now?

xxKathy

• Posted

Hi kathy, sorry to hear your experience wasn't good either. Not a good time for the nhs at the moment my dad keeps telling me! Unless we complain they won't do anything, to change things. 

My family and friends and gp have been very good. I hope you have some support too.

think my worst moment was when a Dr told me I was lucky not to be in the usa and paying 10k for the privilege of spending two days waiting around in the hospital, being sent from pillar to post!

• Posted

Oh and I have to go back for another pre op because the tests will need renewing before my op! What a waste of resources having to do it twice, if they had organised dates properly in the first place it would not be needed
    • Posted

How rude of that doctor! You are right, we should complain.  My doctor even told me to, so I will after the op.  Perhaps you should do when you are better?

xx Kathy

• Posted

That's just dreadful!  As you say, what a waste of resources AND NHS money that they keep telling us they don't have enough of.  Unbelieveable!

It would be lovely to hear how you get on over the next few weeks.  Take care.

xxx Kathy

• Posted

Hi guys I couldn't agree with you more. Sometimes some people are so rude, yet others are lovely. I had one doctor ask me 'why I thought I should go above a cancer patient on the waiting list' when I spoke to him about the pain I had. Said I was not expecting that and actually thought that was s really insensitive comment as my mums best friend passed away from cervical cancer the day before. Of course I was not expecting that. 

Inefficiency is so common, I had to wait 4 ish hours for a zoladex injection as there was no one available at my appointment (which the hospital booked to do the injection. Also waited nearly a whole day to leave hospital as they had to get my painkillers ready for me! 

If you do have a complaint look at the PALS service. I actually got told by one doctor that those who shout loud enough. The problem is when you genuinely feel ill you just don't have the energy. 

Good luck for the 14th November by the way x x 

• Posted

Hope all goes well for you on 14th, keep us updated.
    • Posted

Thanks dizzylizzie and Bek for your good wishes.  If I can't get rid of this throat infection it won't happen but am on antibiotics so hope it will be ok for the day.  By the way, I've had no instructions as to what to do if my throat is still bad (the nurse knew about it and looked down my throat and said it was very red!).  I assume I go through the 'only clear liquids all the day before and large dose of Bisocodyl tablets', arrive for the op the next day, having travelled for an hour, only to be told they can't do it!  I do hope not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.